Thread: I want to learn to Kite Surf,. but... age is a question

Default I want to learn to Kite Surf,. but... age is a question

I would really like to try Kite Surfing, but I am concerned that my age ( over 50, not yet 60) could be
    an issue.
    Doe someone actually teach older people how to do this, or is it best for me to just watch?
    How does one prepare for this activity? It looks like you have to have great core muscles.

trtippins is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Cool Kite Boarding at 60 years of age !!!

Dee: At the age of all most 60 you can still Kite Board. A few years ago there was an AARP video showing a couple ladies and one gentleman in there 70's Kite Boarding around Cape Hatteras. They were having a great time.

I am 60 years old have 24 hours of kite boarding instruction and can board for miles at a time without falling , go up wind when I need to, only to the right. Have even attempted my first successful jump going to the right. My instructor said I was 2 meters out of the water.

I can go 100 yards to the left !!! So I still need more lessons and practice on the water.

They will first teach you how to fly a small kite on land, and then when you get to the ocean you will try and fly the kite with out the board. Just body dragging.

You can kite board if you are the type of person who does not give up !!!

http://www.kiteboardingbonaire.com/

The Kiteboarding website above.

I would start working out if you don't all ready, buy a beginning Kiteboarding DVD and watch it.

And with approx 20 hours of lessons you can probably sail away on the water !!!

Good Luck
    Thomas R Tippins
    PS I will be taking more kite boarding lessons in Bonaire late January 2014

trtippins is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Dee: Check out this AARP Kite Boarding video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on3PyzgohVo

Thanks for the encouragement!! I will take lessons while I am on Bonaire next trip.
    I consider myself pretty active, I really dont want to go up in the air I am afraid of heights - LOL but
    i would love for the wind to pull me on the water.
    Again, thanks for the heads up on the links and encouragement.

It is your physical fitness level, rather than age, that dictates what you can/can't do. So if you are in relatively good shape, kiting is a fun and relatively easy sport to participate in. The learning curve can be steep, but once you get it the rest is easy. I know a 70+ guy here on Bonaire who started lessons this summer. He is looking forward to more lessons when he returns in January. There are two schools that teach kiteboarding here: www.bonairekiteschool.com and www.kiteboardingbonaire.com. Both have IKO-certified instructors and can teach you the basics. The difference between the two is that one focuses on volume (Kiteboarding Bonaire) while the other is more of a boutique set up with a sole proprietor owner/instructor (Bonaire Kite School). It just depends on what sort of experience you are looking for. Have fun!
    Cheers,
    Liz

Dive Biddie is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

I live at Hatteras, NC, and there are many many 70+ kite surfers here. Go for it!

Well, I thank everyone for the encouragement, I tore my meniscus trying to prep for this awesome sport!!
    Maybe next year.