Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Starting the process

Kevin - All of the things you need to have apostile'd for Bonaire will be STATE issued, such as birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc., and as such, the apostile is provided by the secretary of states office for the state which issues the document. I think the process varies slightly from state to state, so start with the Secretary of State's office for each state. I don't know how it is done in Canada, but I would guess the process is similar. The FIRST certificate of good conduct that you get BEFORE you apply for residency for the first time is one you get from the local PD where you live. As far as I know this doesn't need to be apostiled, it does need to be on official letterhead of your local Police Department. I think it is a good idea to pay someone to help you do it the first time, and after that you should be able to do it yourself. Good luck.
    Bob Bartikoski
    Owner RE/MAX Paradise Homes
    www.bonairehomes.com

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Bob -- thanks for your input !! All of what you said is exactly the way I have found it to be so far. You are also correct ... Canada is similar to the US regarding the apostilles. Sue will need to get her birth certificate apostilled in Br. Columbia, the province where she was born.

We are working with Agnes Joosten (recommended by Michael Gaynor, you probably know her). She gave us a list of required documents, includign which had to be apostilled. As near as I can tell, we need the birth certificates, marriage certificate and good conduct letters apostilled, along with copies of our passports & current health insurance, as well as a statement of our bank account/savings and a copy of our Bonaire deed. She also recommended a good health letter from our doctors.

So, we've requested certified copies of our birth certificates from NY and BC, which we'll have to turn around & get apostilled when we receive them. We were married in Ohio and have certified copies of our marriage license, which we will get apostilled in OH. The other stuff seems to be pretty straightforward. My friend the local police chief will issue letters of good conduct and, for good measure, we'll have them apostilled as well (according to Agnes, this needs to be within 3 months of residency application, the others can be within 6 months).

Anything we seemed to have missed ?? Thanks again !!
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

For anyone interested, I inquired about opening a bank account as a non-resident ... turns out, the process is pretty straightforward. MCB informed me that we only need to ...
    1. Provide a reason why (buying a home, business, own a home, etc.)
    2. Provide "good customer" letters from 2 US banks
    3. Provide copies of our passports for ID

Opening the account must be done in person, so we'll take care of that next trip. While I don't know for sure, I assume the other banks are similar to MCB.

Now ya know !!
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Looks like you are in good shape except for fuel to cook with....and heat your water....hmmm.....
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

Very interesting topic, as we are still considering moving to Bonaire in the near future. Noted the topic of apostille and looked it up on wiki. As Canadians, I found out the approach is different for us. It turns out Canada didn't sign onto the convention. Here is a cut and paste from wiki:

"States that have not signed the Convention must specify how foreign legal documents can be certified for its use. Two countries may have a special convention on the recognition of each other's public documents, but in practice this is infrequent. Otherwise, the document must be certified by the foreign ministry of the country where the document originated and then by the foreign ministry of the government where the document will be used; one of the certifications will often be performed at an embassy or consulate. In practice this means the document must be certified twice before it can have legal effect in the receiving country. For example, as a non-signatory, Canadian documents for use abroad must be certified by the Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs in Ottawa or by a Canadian consular official abroad and subsequently by the relevant government office or consulate of the receiving state."

and from ApostilleInfo.com

"Apostille in Canada

Canada didn't sign Hague convention. Instead Canada requires and is required to provide a Certificate of Authentication or Form 10 - International Certificate of Identity which is almost similar like apostille. It is this Certificate of Authentication issued by Canadian authorities which is same as apostille. It should cost CAD 12 per certificate."

Look forward to hearing more about the process. Thanks for the information to date
    Last edited by arn; 10-13-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Funny, Mel ... but who knows? I am hoping the situation is cleared up by mid-2014 !!
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com

Thanks for the message, am. I am aware that Canada's process is not the formal apostille process, but something similar. I will keep everyone informed on what, if any, differences in timing, difficulties, etc. we encounter as we work our way through the process.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com

OK, so we now have certified copy of KOB birth certificate from State of New York, certified copy of Sue birth certificate from Province of British Columbia and certified copy of marriage license from State of Ohio.

Scanning copies of all in case anything gets lost, then it's off to the Post Office to send them off to State of NY for apostille of KOB birth certificate, Province of BC to authenticate Sue birth certificate and State of OH to apostille our marriage license.

Have to provide return envelopes/postage plus the apostille/authentication fees along with the documents. The fees are pretty reasonable $2 - $5 per document for apostilles and $30 for the BC authentication.

Stay tuned for the next episode of "As the Bureaucracy Turns"
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Clearly, Bonaire's non-EU immigrants are all going to be detail-oriented, tenacious people.
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

It must be an instructor thing, Mel
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com