Thread: One Week at Divi

Default One Week at Divi

We have been home from our June trip for a few weeks now, and I am finally posting a trip report. Our group of eight returned to Divi Flamingo Beach Resort the week of June 8 – 15, 2013.

We flew a combination of USAir and Insel airlines, with connections in Charlotte and Curacao. The June 8, flights were uneventful, Bonaire Immigration and Customs was a breeze and we were soon traveling to the Divi, where check in went smoothly.

We began our days on Bonaire with the breakfast buffet at Calabas Restaurant,
    followed by the dive orientation at Divi dive shop pavilion.
    Alvin gave a detailed and thorough presentation of dive procedures. We picked up our weights at the shop, and were soon in the water for an orientation dive off the Divi dock.
    After lunch, our group had a one-tank boat dive to the Bachelor’s Beach site.
    The sightings on this dive quickly reminded us why we return to Bonaire, as
    we found a crab and scorpion fish moving about on the reef.

Each morning we had a two-tank boat dive to various sites, and would dive Calabas reef in the afternoon. The visibility was great and water temperature was 81 - 82 degrees at each site we visited. At Eighteen Palms, the dive master located a sea horse. Later in the dive, we spotted a large green moray, a turtle and finally a spotted eagle ray swam past.
    We dove Klein several times, finding the sites beautiful and marine life varied.

One of our favorite boat dives was at Something Special, where the dive master pointed out a frogfish. We found eels, scorpion fish, two juvenile spotted drum and a baby trunkfish while exploring this area of the reef.

Our group would shore dive each afternoon from the Divi dock. We enjoyed the ease of diving here and the beauty of Calabas reef. One of the divers in our group found two baby trunkfish in the rubble near the entry steps. I wonder how many people just swam past, never spotting them.

We had the breakfast buffet each morning, and ate sandwiches on our patio, or at Chibi Chibi for lunch. We enjoyed the Tuesday Taco Night and Thursday Pasta Night at Divi Resort and walked to town a few nights. One restaurant we tried was Unbelievable. We were impressed with the food, atmosphere and service so much we decided to return our last night on island.

Our return to the States was more eventful than our trip to Bonaire.
    We were departing on the Insel flight that had an engine fire while taxiing to the runway. After evacuating the plane by the emergency exits, we returned to the terminal, and awaited information about our flight. Insel was able to divert a plane headed to Curacao and pick up the passengers from our flight. Insel delayed the flight to Charlotte, but we missed our connection to Nashville by approximately fifteen minutes. We were rebooked on a later flight and safely arrived home, with luggage, just several hours later than expected.

I have posted three short movies on you tube:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh39llAUqS0
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmDzZpLHNqs
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTZKxPYrFsQ

Thanks for the trip report! We have a timeshare at the Divi since since 1999 and love it. Did anyone say anything about the manta rays? They were out in front of the Divi a few times when we there in March/April. We stayed at another hotel before buying at the Divi and just feel it is the most relaxing place to stay. The Divi shop run by Serge is top notch and the restaurants offer a good meal. But... just walking into town can't be beat.

We did not hear any mention of the manta rays this trip.
    We were hoping to see one, but our paths never crossed.

Default Manta Ray

My husband and I spent 2 lovely weeks at the Divi timeshares and we were doing an afternoon dive on Calabas reef and saw the Manta Ray. It came right by us and surprised the heck out of us.

Hitbrits,
    What time of year were you on Bonaire?

Default manta

We were at the Divi Flamingo from July 13 to July 27. I believe it was
    July 18 in the afternoon south of the woodwind at About 55 - 60 ft of water.

thanks for taking the time to post and I really enjoyed your videos!!... (although, I couldn't get the middle one to play)