Thread: Dive Report from Grand Cayman trip

Default Dive Report from Grand Cayman trip

Hello everyone,

It has been a while since I posted on BT and even longer since I have been on the reefs of Bonaire (401 days, but who's counting). I had a trip to Bonaire planned for the end of this month but my girlfriend/dive buddy has to have surgery so we are going to have to push the trip out by several weeks.

Any way, even thought Bonaire is by far my favorite place to dive, it is not the only place I dive. Since Cayman Airways has a direct flight from Tampa to Grand Cayman, I can get there in less than an hour and a half at a reasonable cost. My buddy, Wally, and I went there in May. I have posted my pictures and report on my web site (www.drizz.com). To go directly to the 2013 Grand Cayman trip use this link:

http://www.drizz.com/Cayman 2013.htm

Dr. Doo

Little Ole Me is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Nice trip report Dr. Doo! Have not been to the Caymens in a long time! Good to see you post...actually good to see anyone post! (Me included!) We also cancelled our trip to Bonaire this month but looking forward to the fall!

Nice report and pics! I have never dove the Caymans but have been there snorkeling before I was a diver. Always a thought in the back of my mind! Best wishes on your upcoming trip to Bonaire!

randl is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

That was fun, thanks. We used to dive Grand Cayman regularly then settled into five or six years at Little Cayman - and we got married there (plaque to prove it hangs in the bar at Little Cayman Beach Resort). But after our daughter arrived, we settled on Bonaire for shore diving and great child care options. You just can't get a sitter on Little Cayman.

I'm surprised by the abundance of turtles you saw! I recall seeing them but you saw a lot of them!

Randl,

Little Cayman has some great diving. I have spent a few afternoons at that bar myself. Not surprised that you could not find child care on Little Cayman. I think diving is all that goes on there. If you were there prior to 2004 you probably didn't see many turtles. I dove there twice prior to that time and then hurricane Ivan hit in 2004. It did a lot of damage including to the turtle farm on the north end of Grand Cayman. Hundreds of turtles escaped. I dove Little Cayman Beach Resort the following year and it was not uncommon to see 10 turltes on a dive. By the second day people were saying, "don't be banging on your tank if it is just a turtle."

You can see some of my pictures from that trip (several turtles) at:
    http://www.drizz.com/little_cayman_island.htm

I haven't seen that many turtles on my last two trips to the Caymans but I think I have seen at least one a day. I'm sure more than that saw me.

randl is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

That was fun, too. I saw your photo of the LCBR bar and, for a moment, thought I might catch a glimpse of our wedding hanging but it looks like the photo was from the wrong angle...drat. Love to see it again after so many years.

Our last trip to LC was in 2003 so we missed the rebuilding and all the emancipated turtles.

randl