Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gun laws on Bonaire

Default Gun laws on Bonaire

I understand that guns are prohibited on Bonaire. Is that correct? If so, it seems that the article in the current Bonaire Reporter lends credibility to the argument in the U.S. that; " if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns." Sad to read such news from Bonaire.

AlbertA is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Are you bringing that discussion to Bonaire? You are a sad person.

I'm sorry you found my post disturbing. However, as a frequent visitor to Bonaire, I found the situation described in the Bonaire Reporter disturbing as well. I guess I should just put my head in the sand and hope it all goes away. Maybe my concern is heightened by the fact that our truck was damaged to the tune of $900 plus in an attempt to steal it in March. Crime is disturbing, especially when it involves guns on an island where we thought that was unusual. I bet the victims of the recent armed robberies are sad as well.

Again, referring to the Bonaire Reporter, it seems that the criminals are the ones that brought this discussion to Bonaire.
    Last edited by Sparty; 05-08-2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: add comment

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Bonaire is a municipality of the Netherlands and part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, and thus is subject to the Netherlands' restrictive gun control laws. Gun ownership is considered a privilege, rather than a right as in the USA. It's illegal to carry a firearm in public, concealed or otherwise. There's a brief summary of Netherlands gun control laws at this web link, if interested.

Arguing the gun control vs. crime topic in this forum in perspective to Bonaire is futile, regardless of your position. If you want to change the gun control laws on Bonaire you'll need to start at The Hague in Holland.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

wwguy -- you're right. I have also researched the Netherlands gun laws and it appears that being in a Shooting Club is the key to owning a gun (at least in The Netherlands in mainland Europe, don't know if the same applies on Bonaire). I know I would be personally interested in joining a shooting club when I move to BON, as my wife and I both enjoy sport shooting. Interesting discussion regardless of anyone's personal view of handgun ownership.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

AlbertA is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

kon, wwguy

Gun laws in the European part of the Netherlands are different from the gun laws in the Caribbean part (Bonaire, Saba, Sint Eustatius).
    You'll find the entire law here: http://maxius.nl/vuurwapenwet-bes

Shooting clubs is a possibility for owning a gun (though it is heavily restricted in what you can do with it). On Bonaire, there is no shooting club.

Article 3 in the law, bullet 2, sub-bullet 5 actually stipulates that you can also own a gun on Bonaire if you request an authorisation from the lieutenant governor.

sparty:
    "it seems that the article in the current Bonaire Reporter lends credibility to the argument in the U.S. that; " if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. ""
    Did you intentionally omit the fact that this argument is currently heavily debated in the US of A?

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Very interesting AlbertA. Thanks for sharing. On first glance, with help from Google translation, it appears that the BES firearm laws are also very restrictive. Perhaps even more so than in the Netherlands.

AlbertA, I believe my statement that the situation lends credibility to the "argument" in the U.S. indicates that there is a debate. Obviously, I did not intentionally omit anything as suggested.

WWGUY, Thanks for the link to the gun laws in the Netherlands. I found the debate following the article interesting as well, especially the comments from the Swiss respondent regarding the reference to the fact that the Swiss are required by law to possess guns but still have a much lower rate of violence then most countries, many that do not allow gun ownership.

I never intended my comments to begin a gun debate on this forum. Frankly, I was a bit shocked to read the article in the Bonaire Reporter and posted here to inform others that may not read that publication regularly. I previously believed physical attacks, especially with guns, were relatively rare on Bonaire.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

AlbertA -- thanks for the info. I am headed back to BON in September and planned to try to find out if there was a shooting club, so you have saved me some time Now I will have to find out about the procedure regarding the Lt. Governor. May be a biz opportunity to start a shooting club, too !! Thanks for the helpful post.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

many years ago there was a very active gun club on bonaire - of which i was a member .. our shooting range was in the Washikemba area where today the police practice... the guns had to be stored at the police station and in general all the activities were supervised and controlled by the police department .. maybe you could start there? there are a few old members still around that perhaps you could find and ask ....