Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Places Not to be Missed

Default Places Not to be Missed

What are some of the things we must do and/or see while on Bonaire (besides diving of course)? Caving, kayaking, parks, etc? I like to explore caves at home, so that will most likely make the list. Any cool historical, touristy places that are not to be missed? We will have a rented vehicle and staying at the Carribbean Club, so distance wont be a factor (at least I hope not).

I am a Bonaire newbie (only been once). But I really enjoyed driving around the island and seeing the flamingos, donkeys, the lake and the lighthouses and the wind surfers and especially the kite surfers. Its such a unique landscape there and I do consider it to be beautiful in its own right. I would like to eventually kayak the mangroves. I also am really interested in Jerry Ligon's new birding tour. I have done a Dive with the Naturalist class/dive with him and it was great - so I would really enjoy learning more about the topside life from him too. We were only there a week last time and it was too short, but next time I would also like to visit Rincon and have lunch there (we drove through but didn't stop).

I would definitely be interested in hearing about the above water caves as hb are fans of caves, too. Just not enough time!

I can't wait to hear from the more experienced folks, too!

Be sure to visit the Cadushy Distillery in Rincon. Interesting and fun for an afternoon. Pasa Bon Photo has daily cave tours. They are located next to Buddy Dive.

The kayak tour through the mangroves is fantastic. The butterfly farm is very interesting (we haven't been there since the restatraunt opened - have heard that it is good). Snorkling out at Klein Bonaire is absolutely fantastic (I'm sure the diving is also - we are floaters). A trip through the Washington Slaagbai Park is always a treat! You also have to treate yourself to a gelato at Gio's on The Kaya! One other thing is Yenny's place. she openes her yard to the public. She collects debris from the ocean and makes things out of it. She has placed these items around her house and lets the public in. She even has flamingoes and turtles n her backyard! I can't seem to get the picture to post - sorry . You definitely need to see Rincon - LeMaSe at the least - Norman is very sweet and makes the best squash soup on the island! (His cheese pastechi is great too!) Whatever you end up doing - just remember this - ENJOY!!!

try looking at FAQ for more suggestions http://www.bonairetalk.com/forums/fa...aq_activities_
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

marina is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

You must see Donkey Sanctuary with all the rescued donkeys!

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions! Too bad we only have a week. I dont think I will be doing much sleeping.

If you visit the donkey sanctuary take your camera, cold water for you and buy carrots to pay your toll around the place. The donks are so funny and will in a nice way hound you for carrots. They pose well for the camera.
    Brian Lowe

I live the Western part of the US and we always have had the rock art from the native Americans around here. Saying that on your way to or from Ricon, take a turn off the road toward the Ocean and check out the native rock drawing. It only took us five trips to actually go and see them for the first time. I believe they are at Bocka Okia ( I am not sure what the exact name is right now sorry. I know that it is Bocka something) it is on the wild side and it was pretty amazing.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Boca Onima
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32