Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential ATM Fraud

Mooth is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Default Potential ATM Fraud

Hey Everybody - Friendly word of caution here. My husband got a call from Wells Fargo fraud department. Someone copied his ATM card and was using it in California when he hadn't used it in a month.

When he spoke to them, he mentioned on of the last times he used it, he was on Bonaire. They said someone probably had a "reader" attached to the ATM, which he didn't notice, possibly because it's another country? With this reader, they can keep your card info, including your PIN number, then recreate a card.

I'm not sure if this has happened on Bonaire before and they were aware of it, or if it's just common in the Caribbean. But once he said Bonaire, they seemed sure that was it.

Luckily, he's not responsible for the fraudulent withdrawals. But do be careful with the ATM you are using - if something looks suspect, go find another. If there's one inside the bank branch, that is probably even better.

Makes you think maybe we should go back to travelers checks!

randl is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Mooth,

Which ATM did you use? This should be reported to the Bonaire Police for investigation....

Will have to ask my husband. I'll get back to you when I do.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Seems odd that only one person would be reporting this issue, unless it was very recent. The BT community is very vocal when it comes to this kind of stuff, so if it really was an ATM on BON, I would expect others to start chiming in about similar experiences from the suspect ATM.

Not defending BON, just thinking analytically.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

It was not confirmed to be Bonaire, but it was their first and best guess. He hasn't used his card - I think at all - lately where we live in NC. And he hasn't been to California in several years.

There was also a time lag. We were in Bonaire late Jan/early Feb.

pa51 is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

we went into the bank and went to a teller and got a cash advance for which we were charged only $1 using our credit card.

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

This is not unique to Bonaire or the Caribbean. It happens everywhere electronic funds are accepted including ATM's, gas pumps, vending machines, and merchant's hand-held point-of-sale devices. The card number and account routing info are captured via surreptitiously placed electronic "skimmers" that read the magnetic strip. For ATM/debit cards the PIN numbers are typically captured through physical or electronic observation via tiny cameras. (PIN numbers are typically not stored directly on the cards these days, else you wouldn't be able to change PIN numbers periodically via phone.) I recently learned all of this after my business American Express card info was skimmed while travelling in New England in January this year. Amex caught it when the thieves attempted to charge $1200 worth of goods at a Rite Aid Pharmacy in Youngstown OH, a city I've never visited.

For Mooth, just as an example of how this can easily happen close to home, do a quick Google search for "card slimming North Carolina" (without the quotation marks.) You might be surprised how much of this has been going on in recent years. I think your advice in your original post was spot-on... be aware, vigilant, and cautious. Here's a recent bank blog article with some tips from the U.S. Secret Service.

Thanks for sharing your experience and raising awareness. Glad to read you didn't incur any personal loss.

It was reported on Bonaire on Facebook by Trix van Bennekom and got quite a number of replies also from other victims.
    It was reported to be skimmed at the RCN building
    Brigitte - owner Coco Palm Garden

I think I have my husband's receipt. It is from Maduro and Curiel Bankomatiko and the location was Hosp. Mari. I know it was downtown, but I was not with him when he withdrew the cash.

He was also charged a $3 access fee. Nice!

randl is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge View Post
    It was reported on Bonaire on Facebook by Trix van Bennekom and got quite a number of replies also from other victims.
    It was reported to be skimmed at the RCN building
    I found Trix van Bennekom's Facebook post and (with an assist from Bing Translate) here it is:

Warning for skimming on Bonaire: tonight I saw an illegal charge on my bank account ABN. Called the bank immediately; map was blocked. According to bank there has been skimming. Map is only used in the ATM Giro bank in Playa and at Van der Tweel and for a purchase at a store. The ABN investigates.