Thread: Flamingos

maryandpete is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Default Flamingos

Not sure I am in the right category but ....
    We are wondering where the flamingos are? Last year when we were here we rode out to Lagun and there weree hundreds of beautiful flamingos. We went out there last Friday and not one. Have they moved to another location?
    Thanks.

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I would go to the salt ponds.
    Or take kaminda sorobon in the direction of Lac bay.
    A little longer drive will be Goto lake.
    I've never seen them at Lagun :-)

Annapolis, Maryland and Santa Barbara, Bonaire

We head down to just past the Pink Slave Huts in the evening to see them fly off to Venezuela. We get there around 5:15 and the last of them are gone just before sunset. It is a great place to get videos and have a beer watching the sunset as well. Video attached.

Experienced a scenario very similar to below about 2 wks ago. We were exiting after a dive in The Rock area, and we could see a large flock (is that correct term?) of flamingos flying offshore in the distance near Red Slave Huts.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeto View Post
    We head down to just past the Pink Slave Huts in the evening to see them fly off to Venezuela. We get there around 5:15 and the last of them are gone just before sunset. It is a great place to get videos and have a beer watching the sunset as well.

Up until about a week ago, there were many flamingos at Lagun, but the salina is drying up now, and there are less (sometimes) and other times none at all. There are lots of flamingos out at Lac these days, they can be seen either on the Cai road or from on the road coming into town from the Sorobon side.

There are not any flamingos that I have recently seen in Gotomeer. There are some (depending upon how much water is available) in the salina by the traffic rotary in Hato, and also in the one along the road to the airport. There are always flamingos in the salt pans in the south as well, and sometimes as they are getting ready to fly off at sunset you can see them quite close.

One piece of advice, if you want a flamingo picture do not get out of the truck, they will be gone.
    And Jerry said, Keep it light, Keep it friendly. Post Like Jerry.

maryandpete is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Thanks all!

just remember when you are viewing flamingos to stay in your vehicle .. any approach scares them and they will flee .. by observing this there will be flamingos to be seen by everyone .. please observe the signs prohibiting you into flamingos feeding zones .. especially out in the salt flats .. its baby time .. cargill has signs posted everywhere that it is trespassing to enter the salt pan area ..yet last week while touring i saw one stayover couple and a group of 8 divers-in wet suits-way out in the pans .. please do not disturb them..there are only about 3000 in the bonaire colony . REMEMBER PLEASE .. any movement toward them is a danger sign for them .. the birds will flee .. you cannot approach them for pictures ...you are threatening them..