Thread: Two weeks on Bonaire

JimMc is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Default Two weeks on Bonaire

I am not going to do a full trip report until I get home. I only have my iPhone and it takes too long to type. Diving has been very good and I have not found a seahorse yet. However, I am still holding out hope that this afternoon or tomorrow it will happen.
    Pachi Jim

esculley is offline Supporting Member SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

jim-hope u found one. they are elusive buggers

Skunked Elaine !!!
    Pachi Jim

Had a great time at Pachi's last night. Kathi was dancing on the bar for guys from Columbia.
    Pachi Jim

Kathi and I flew out of Newark, NJ on Friday the 28th of December. The flight was on time, and we landed in Bonaire 15 minutes earlier than expected. Poppy's guy from Telerin was there waiting for us, signed the papers, and off we went. When we arrived at Habitat, the front desk lady informed us our villa was ready, as the people who were there before checked out early. As we were meeting our good friends Todd and Vicki from Louisiana, we did not just want to grab a certain bedroom, and claim it first. So, we just kept all luggage downstairs, got changed into island clothes and had breakfast. Wilco waived orientation for me, as I was just there in August with the Wounded Warriors. Aquawoman unpacked her gear and did the 8:30 boat dive.

While she was exploring the undersea wonders of Bonaire, I went off and did some shopping. I also had an order in with Marjolein at Antillean iine Co. I was able to get back, get the stuff unpacked and Kathi and I made a shoredive on the Habitat reef. At 3:00, I had to be over at Flamingo, as our friends were coming in from Atlanta. I brought along some Brights in our collapsable cooler, and Todd and Vicki were much appreciative. Hell, I even brought limes.

That night the four of us just stayed at Habitat and had dinner at Rum Runners. As we also had an oceanfront villa, sitting out on our patio and drinking some vino from Antillean was a great opener to Bonaire nights as well. I brought down my portable I Phone music player, so good music and good wine while listening to the ocean was very therapeutic for all of us. We all turned in fairly early to prepare for our dives the next day.

Vicki and Todd did their orientation speel, got their STINAPA tags, and were ready to go. I might add that Todd is professional underwater video guy, and is even shooting a film for PBS right now on The Flower Garden in The Gulf. The dive guys, at Habitat, were calling his camera and housing Moby Dick because of the amazing size. The high def video it shoots underwater is the best I have ever seen. I think he will be sending some to us, so I shall try to get it on here, if possible.

After our first shore dive right out front, we had lunch and then went out on the 2:00 boat to Rappel. We had 14 boat dives included in our package, so we saved these for dives that could not be done from shore, Klein, etc. We also did one of my old favorites, by boat, Petrie's Pillar, as you can't get there from shore anymore. 1000 Steps is also much better from a boat than by shore, in my opinion.

The diving was teriffic, and visibility was not bad considering the wind and turbulence. We also did two trips to Washington Park. The second trip coming back was in some seas that were pretty crazy, especially approaching BOPAC, by the time we got to Karpata they had calmed a bit. It was an adventure. I sat in the cabin drinking Appleton Reserve Rum. Arrrrrrrrgh!!!!

I cooked 4 times while we were there. On other nights, we had leftovers, or went out. Some of our restaurants were Bistro, Joe's Steak House, Unbelievable, Chibi, Donna and Georgios, Paradise Moon, and one of my new favorites, Eddy's. Everyone really liked their food a lot, and that family works very hard to make sure you are all right. Paradise Moon was also a big hit with everyone, especially Aquawoman, who is basically like Morris The Finicky Cat. Carl and Pam do a great job there as well. Kathi and I also got invited to the biker club, right nextdoor to Paradise Moon for a New Year's barbecue. It was a lot of fun, and all the Bonaire Biker guys are really good people.

Flew home via Aruba. We had planned to spend the day there, as we had a 6 hour layover. However, Tiarra Air had different plans for us and cancelled our 8:55 AM flight. We got back in our truck, and went back to Habitat, had breakfast, and even still had our room until 12:00. We went back to Flamingo for the 11:45 flight, and were in Aruba 20 minutes later. We had lunch, and a few Balashis at the airport, and boarded our 3:35 United to Newark on time. We were home by 9:30 PM, and another wonderful chapter of Bonaire was down in the books. For me, it was number 25, and it was all good.
    Pachi Jim

Jim, thanks for sharing your visit with us. Look forward to seeing the video if you can upload it here.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Great report, Jim !! Thanks for sharing.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

Overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire and "VINIBU" on Bonaire

Nice report Pachi Jim..One of these years we'll meet up with you!
    "Life is good, And on Bonaire, It's even better!"

Owner of VINIBU

Good report Jim, make the best of it while you can...

Yep, in the famous words of Ms Janis Joplin, "You gotta get it while you can."
    Pachi Jim