Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Telerin

Default Telerin

I was just stalking scubaboard and there are posters there that are bashing Poppy about service and the vehicles. I used her last year and was completely satisfied. Has anything changed? I have a reservation with her in February and was just wondering.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Here's what I posted a few weeks ago ...
    We rented from Poppy 2 weeks ago. Yes, they are still in business, take Amex, etc. We had a Mazda pickup with wooden tank rack in the bed. Truck was older, but ran well. Only one minor glitch, easily solved on our own. Easy on us ... Poppy's guys met us at the airport with paperwork filled out, just had to sign and drive away. Drop off in short-term parking was the best.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

We found her service most excellent and the truck was almost new.
    Having someone meet you at the airport is a real plus as well.

hey that was this person's experience. will be using poppy's service this winter for first time. that did though raise some concern but its a first in the complaint department i've ever heard of poppy's service.
    Bob

Used her in September. Service was excellent as defined by being met at the airport, sign document and go and easy drop off at short term airport parking. Truck didn't start well during trip but never failed to start in the end so I didn't care.

Also used Telerin in September. Must have had the same truck since ours failed to start one morning but Poppy came out in person to confirm what the problem was (flat Battery). She stayed until a mechanic came to jump start and return to the garage for a battery change. All was done within an hour so no big deal. Would use the company again.

Like I stated.. I used Poppy last year and had no problems at all. They gave me a "temp" truck the 1st day and exchanged it the same day to a new one. I love the pick up and drop off at the airport. It was seamless. I was just wondering if anything has changed with the condition of the vehicles?

bgdiver is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

I was there in early December, got a 4 door pickup from Poppy. Was a little older, but ran well. Just my 2 cents.

Brian

We also got a 'temp' truck for a day or so (last April), but they took care of it and delivered the new one to our apartment. Great service.

Maybe their trucks are older, but since I drive a 20+ year old car, I am not a good judge of 'old'.

Bea

I have not had a completely satisfactory experience with Telerin, and I would rate them 3 stars out of 5.

My bad experience started when we landed on the Saturday 5:30 am flight from Newark only to find no one waiting for us. We were the second to last people to get our luggage and we then had to wait over 20 minutes for someone to show up. If one of the other people picking up travelers had not told us that the guy was just there I would have taken a cab to the hotel and been really upset. I was both tired and grumpy, but trying to get into the island spirit of things. When the guy finally returned we told him that we had been waiting for over 20 minutes; the only response we got from him was that he had to drive someone to their hotel. He never apologized for making us wait. In defense of Telerin, I never complained to them about this issue.

The next problem I noticed was that the air in one of the tires was a little low. As the days progressed the tire got flatter. In addition, on our first snorkel at 1,000 steps I parked the truck and noticed that the parking break didn't work. This was going to be a problem as many sites are not nice and flat; so a parking break is required. Both of these problems were not reported immediately.

Last Sunday I noticed that the tire was almost flat and I was not comfortable driving on it. It is not easy to get air for tires on this island; in fact it was our dive shop that bailed us out of this difficulty. I did report both issues to Telerin on Sunday, and they offered to have someone come out immediately to fix the issue. I indicated that Monday would be fine, I didn't need people to work on a Sunday, and I managed to get air in the tire.

Monday morning at about 9 am they picked up the truck and told me it would be about an hour. After a followup email with Telerin the repaired vehicle arrived at our unit at about 2 pm; so we effectively lost a day of vacation waiting for the truck; we got not updates on the delay which might have allowed us to go for a snorkel in front of our unit. I emailed Telerin that I was not happy. They did send an email indicating that they were sorry for the delay.

We have had bad experiences like this with some of the rental agencies on the island, the cheaper rates mean an older fleet; so the moral of the story is you get what you pay for. If you want to risk losing a day of vacation that you paid a lot of money for then take the risk of going with a cheaper rate and older vehicle.