Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 minute Delta connection in Atlanta --- any experiences?

Default 40 minute Delta connection in Atlanta --- any experiences?

I'm looking at a FF Delta trip from Rochester, NY to BON, that has a 40 minute connection in Atlanta (in February!) --- this sounds REALLY iffy, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this short a connection in Atlanta. As there's only one flight a week, a real problem if the connection is missed....

Of course, so much depends on whether we actually depart on time from ROC...

I have not tried that nor would I, we have always flown to Atlanta the night before, just so much easier and much less stress.
    And Jerry said, Keep it light, Keep it friendly. Post Like Jerry.

gbf is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Going to Bon I wouldn't even think about it.

I've flown the Rochester-ATL flight many times. If it comes in on the southernmost runway, and it often does, you're toast. If it rains a little bit you're toast. If they don't get the jetway down immediately (and sometimes they have Stevie Wonder driving them) you're toast. Any little blip and you're toast.

Do as ModCecil suggests.

On the other hand, I have done the 40 min connection during the summer on business trips and made it ok.

But not going to Bon
    Brad Ford

The first time we went to Bonaire we did a similar thing from Boston. We made it by the skin of our teeth, and we were completely stressed out by the "Amazing Race" style running from Gate A1 to Gate E1. The past 2 trips we've gone to Atlanta the night before, got a room, and flew out in the morning stress free. Totally worth the extra cash.

That makes a lot of sense .... but I don't think it would allow me to use my FF miles...

I've done it a bunch of times using FF miles, no problem. You have to pick up your baggage Friday Night and re-check on Saturday. Somebody posted that there was a luggage storage place somewhere in the airport, but I've never used it.

Well worth asking...
    Brad Ford

You will land at the domestic terminal and then must shuttle to the new international terminal. 40 min. is not reasonable.

Thanks, Brad --- would I have to book directly with Delta SkyMiles people, rather than on-line?

I've always booked directly on-line - no muss, no fuss. I'm a sooper-dooper skymiler so that may have made a difference, but I'd give it a try were I you.

If you call the skymiles desk I think they will charge you some piddling fee for doing it for you.
    Brad Ford

esculley is offline Supporting Member SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

i wold do the overnight stay in atlanta. that way no stress and u know u will make the flight