Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Solar Power an option for my home?

Default Is Solar Power an option for my home?

With the recent price increases and the power outages the last few weeks, I was wondering if there has been any recent discussion about solar energy on a house in Bonaire. My understanding (based on typical "what I have heard" not anything official) is that it is not possible to install solar electric panels on your property and still be connected to WEB. Does anyone know for sure if that is true today? I have some friends planning some new construction in Belnem, so they were asking.

Also, would it be possible to have a PV system for one electric use, not connected to the general electric panel of your house? For example, if I had a PV system to run a single motor and that motor was not connected to my WEB-fed electric panel. The motor may be for a pool pump, an airco, whatever. Just trying to think of a way to get around the restriction if it does exist.

Thanks in advance.

you can install solar power but it cannot be connected to the grid. So you can have a stand alone system but on that system you can't have the Web as back up. i think the same goes for the other system you are talking about.
    Assistant Operations Manager

Good Morning everybody. I install window film here in the states for residential and commercial projects. The film I used is Vista but there is a new idea coming about film that will be a electricity generating product. I'm not sure exactly when or how much but if sure would work for Bonaire with all that sun. Take a look at this website and see if it could work for your home or building. Take Care! http://www.plusplasticelectronics.co...012-39521.aspx

It's an idea but most Bonaire homes don't have a lot of glass windows, unless inside a shutter. Maybe something for an office use where they have full time airco.

Aruba for some time and now even Curacao have the possibility to deliver also to the grid and take when needed .... you never know, perhaps the WEB will start thinking and than in 3 years or so .....
    Brigitte - owner Coco Palm Garden

bcwolfen Lurker

One would think that given WEB's current economic crisis and shortage of power at peak times that they would welcome solar installations that:
    1) reduce the load on their infrastructure and
    2) put power back into the grid.
    I'm sure they would be paying for the power cheaper than what their current costs are to produce.

Well, with today, the 7th power outage in less than 30 days, I'm really gonna look into this.

In the "what I heard category", my neighbor said she talked with Ms. Kroon (?) about PV solar electric. I have heard Ms. Kroon's name before associated with solar power, solar HW but do not know what business she is associated with. Anyway, Ms. Kroon said that in 2014 WEB will be doing some pilot projects where some people will be allowed to use PV solar electric and with WEB as the backup. This is just a rumor - not sure why it should take until 2014 for WEB to get its act together...
    Given that I think present solar PV systems (minus batteries, etc) have a lower cost/kWH than our present electric rates, I think the demand for this could be pretty high.
    I remember getting a flyer from a Dutch company last Spring promoting solar PV systems with a payback in about 4 years (except for Bonaire because of all the extra equipment required). Unfortunately I didn't keep the flyer - anyone know the name of the company?

Thanks,
    Barton

Quote Originally Posted by bartontb View Post
    not sure why it should take until 2014 for WEB to get its act together...
    This from "forum Bonaire" explains why 2014...
    WEB 'ALMOST BANKRUPT'

Following a recent audit by the department of the Minister of Economic Affairs, Agriculture and Innovation, the unsurprising discovery is that the islands water & electricity provider is all but bankrupt.
    As from 2014, a new framework of good governance will be introduced to oversee the running of water & electricity companies on all of the BES islands. It is hoped that the new framework will give governments more power to ensure that working practices are adhered to & that something pro-active can be done when they are not.
    Until then, Bonaire is stuck with a company that is verging on Bankruptcy financially & in my opinion morally. Their only source of extra cash is the end user who has already seen a huge price hike for their utilities. Don't be surprised to see more rises as the infrastructure continues to crumble....

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Quote Originally Posted by bartontb View Post
    This from "forum Bonaire" explains why 2014...
    WEB 'ALMOST BANKRUPT'

Following a recent audit by the department of the Minister of Economic Affairs, Agriculture and Innovation, the unsurprising discovery is that the islands water & electricity provider is all but bankrupt.
    As from 2014, a new framework of good governance will be introduced to oversee the running of water & electricity companies on all of the BES islands. It is hoped that the new framework will give governments more power to ensure that working practices are adhered to & that something pro-active can be done when they are not.
    Until then, Bonaire is stuck with a company that is verging on Bankruptcy financially & in my opinion morally. Their only source of extra cash is the end user who has already seen a huge price hike for their utilities. Don't be surprised to see more rises as the infrastructure continues to crumble....
    I do not understand the conclusions in the article. In the old days I was taught that "all but bankrupt" does mean "not at all bankrupt".