Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what does it really mean

Gmichael is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Default what does it really mean

Article 73Members of the United Nations which have or assume responsibilities for the administration of territories whose peoples have not yet attained a full measure of self-government recognize the principle that the interests of the inhabitants of these territories are paramount, and accept as a sacred trust the obligation to promote to the utmost, within the system of international peace and security established by the present Charter, the well-being of the inhabitants of these territories, and, to this end:
    1. to ensure, with due respect for the culture of the peoples concerned, their political, economic, social, and educational advancement, their just treatment, and their protection against abuses;
    2. to develop self-government, to take due account of the political aspirations of the peoples, and to assist them in the progressive development of their free political institutions, according to the particular circumstances of each territory and its peoples and their varying stages of advancement;
    3. to further international peace and security;
    4. to promote constructive measures of development, to encourage research, and to co-operate with one another and, when and where appropriate, with specialized international bodies with a view to the practical achievement of the social, economic, and scientific purposes set forth in this Article; and
    5. to transmit regularly to the Secretary-General for information purposes, subject to such limitation as security and constitutional considerations may require, statistical and other information of a technical nature relating to economic, social, and educational conditions in the territories for which they are respectively responsible other than those territories to which Chapters XII and XIII apply.

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

What does it mean?
    It's from the UN.
    It means little to nothing. It expresses laudable goals, without mechanisms to implement or enforce, or money to do anything. But everybody feels better for having it, and those who write and agree to such things have wonderful parties.
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Amen, Mel. The very same UN that's solving all the problems in Syria right now
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

AlbertA is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Aside from what the other posters possibly correctly are saying it means also exactly that what is happening in Bonaire right now!

Michael, what's your reason for putting it on BT?

Bonaire is struggling for its very identity...I assumed that Bonaire Talk is an ideal forum to let those who love our island and people know what we face. And may I ask your reason for asking me my reason? Take the time to read the following for some more background.

Welcome to the new Dutch Colony of the BES CN Islands!
    30 years ago I had started a business in Mombassa Kenya exporting limited edition art prints of endangered African wildlife. My partner, Mohamed Ismail and I needed a corporate name and I innocently thought the exotic East Africa Company would be a perfect name. Our application for a business license was immediately turned down! “Too Colonial” was the reason. That was the first time but not the last I found that when colonialism raises its ugly head, it can bring on all sorts of baggage with it.

Decolonization in the 20th Century

Decolonization was gradual and peaceful for many colonies largely settled by expatriates but violent for others. The relationships between the Netherlands and its colonies in the “West” changed drastically in the second half of the twentieth century. During World War II, Surinam and the Netherlands Antilles remained free. They provided military support to allied operations and supplied raw materials needed for the war industry, like bauxite and petroleum. After the war, the so-called overseas territories were granted regional autonomy and the right to vote. This new relationship was set down in the Charter for the Kingdom of the Netherlands (Statuut voor het Koninkrijk der Nederlanden) enacted in 1954, a type of constitution for a transatlantic kingdom with autonomous overseas territories

Recolonization

That is a word not often heard in relation to socio political terms. However in the case of Bonaire it can most certainly be applied to out going back to being under the complete control of the Dutch Crown. Of course it may not have been completely evident at the outset that was to be our fate on 10-10-10 but as each day passes, more and more proof comes to the fore and we sink deeper and deeper into being a colony once again.

There are not a lot of options open to us to return to a more acceptable government since our vote for the present form is binding until we have an evaluation in 2015. We need to enlist much larger and more influential resources to return the island to the Bonaireans. See below the initiative from the Permanent Conference of Political Parties of Latin America and the Caribbean(COPPPAL) Plenary meeting in Mexico City on October 12, 2012

From an Attendee:
    "Good morning to all our brothers in the Americas and the Caribbean who are here present. For us it is a great privilege to be here and to experience this extraordinary union, uniting political parties is to unite the voice of the peoples of the Americas and the Caribbean. And the final goal is to serve the peoples well-being and welfare unconditionally.

I will share one experience I had in the lift of this hotel yesterday that will explain everything we want to present to you today.

A colleague from Haiti whom I met in the lift tried to guess my country of origin and start mentioning almost every Caribbean country and following with the Central American and South American countries. Finally I told him no, I'm from Bonaire, which name he never heard before ... and that our language is Papiamentu but that we can speak English as well Spanish well so we can communicate without major difficulty to you all . This experience I’m sharing with you is our essence of our resolution that we are presenting to you today.
    We are part of you; we are part of the family of the Americas and the Caribbean. We are now in a very serious situation. Our existence as original people of the island of Bonaire is in real danger of being exterminated. We were sent back in the colonial era, we are governed by the cosmopolitan state, which are imposing laws, regulations and more and are changing everything through their financial power and administrative mechanism. Our dignity and pride of our people is decreasing and our identity is disappearing every day our people is under this regime. Yes my friend of Haiti, and yes Haiti where the history of decolonization of the Americas started, and everyone else here today you are experiencing a systematic legal extermination of our Bonairean people. Maybe it was destiny for us to meet yesterday in this lift, and yes at this rate that they are executing this re-colonization and extermination plan on us, you shall witness the disappearance of one of your original people, one of the unique nations of the people of the Americas and the Caribbean.
    We are here begging you to support and help us to meet this challenge. Our people do not see a way out or solution anymore... we are begging you to join us in this fight to help us to continue our emancipation process..
    It is our human right ... and we do not have more time..."
    Following is a resolution that was placed at the meeting:

"The thirtieth session of the Permanent Conference of Political Parties of Latin America and the Caribbean (COPPPAL) Plenary meeting in Mexico City on October 12, 2012 expresses its deepest concern over the condition of inferiority and political subordination that has been in effect on the island of Bonaire after the dissolution of the Netherlands Antilles without the population of Bonaire have fully exercise their right to self-determination. COPPPAL is urging the Special Committee on Decolonization of the UN to examine the case of Bonaire and to determine whether in the light of re-colonizing maneuvers of the Netherlands should be declared by the General Assembly that Bonaire is still a non-autonomous territory under the international law, and therefore justifies the inclusion of Bonaire in the list of these territories, and requests the Netherlands to fulfill their decolonizing responsibilities under resolutions 1514 and 1514 of the General Assembly of 1960

AlbertA is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Michael, your first post was just a general UN-rule. It just so happens that it resembles since recently the situation of Bonaire. Therefore I was wondering why you posted it. From your second post I gather that you are supporting the goal of the Copppal-meeting attendee. Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't really have an opinion on this situation. I guess there is not really any harm in waiting till 2015 for the evaluation. Personally, I think that the Netherlands is not really colonizing Bonaire as it is just following up on a people's referendum. People say that the people would've voted otherwise if they had known what was to be expected. I don't know if that's true. However, everyone is entitled to round up some support and influence the evaluation outcome.

Just my 2 cents.

The implication of the above posts seems to be that Holland is taking control of Bonaire over the objections of its native residents. I am curious as to why Holland would care to do that. Most Colonizations were to obtain some value for the country doing the colonization. From what I understand, Holland is pouring money into Bonaire for infrastructure such as the sewer system. I also belive there was an article in the Bonaire Reporter recently that indicated Holland was going to subsidize the cost of the power system to alleviate the previously announced huge increase in electricity and water rates. It would seem Bonaire is more of a financial drain on Holland than a benefit.

I know very little about the political situation of Bonaire but I had the impression that, before, the complaint was that Curacao was taking most of the money from Holland and sending little on to Bonaire. Now that Bonaire is no longer politically connected to Curaco the money comes direct to Bonaire. I also understood the Bonairian people had choices and voted to be a muncipal entity of Holland. Can someone explain what Holland is doing wrong?

Thank you for your very insightful evaluation. There is just another addendum to the issue. After 10 10 anyone living on Bonaire will be allowed to vote in local elections, referdums, etc. after five years residency. 10 10 10 plus 5 years is 10 10 15 Lots of folks who did not vote in the first go round will now weild a lot of power. I have seen lots of positive thing happen in health, education and social services. I also am realistic and know that independance is out of the question but some form of Free Association well crafted with over sight etc. could possibly work. We all know Rome was not built in a day...but we all know about the Decline and fall I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.”
    Mother Teresa

GMichael, I'm unclear on what you are saying.

It seems you want the money from Holland for infrastructure and medicine.
    It seems you want the money from dive tourists.
    It seems you want the money from cruise ships.
    It seems you don't want the Dutch or the tourists on the island, you don't want it to change, you want it to be a small fishing village like it was 50 years ago, but with all the money and conveniences provided by the Dutch and the divers and cruisers.

Is that close?

Thom It is not all all what I want..I am a foreigner living here for 30 years. It is what the people want. Think back to the American Revolution. So the only answer to what I am saying is it is up to the Bonaireans..not not me, not holland, etc