Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying alcohol, wine and beer

Default Buying alcohol, wine and beer

Can you tell me what types of adult beverages can be purchased and where are the best places to buy. It would also be helpful to have an idea of prices so we can stock up for our own happy hours!

Thanks!

PS I'm sorry if this info was somewhere else on the forum. I couldn't find it... thx again

I haven't been to the new supermarket yet so I can't comment on their selection.

We always stock up at the warehouse. They have quite a good selection. "local" beer is quite cheap. Any no-name south american liquor is cheap, and of reasonable quality. However if you want something specific, say bourbon, rye, baileys, or something like that it will cost you.

Another option is the Chinese market on the north side of town, can't remember the name. To be honest it's not hard to find booze, and it's not all that expensive. Unless you want something very specific - best bet then is to get it at the duty free on your way down.

I've found this is one of those things people way over think before going down.

The new supermarket down the street from the warehouse has a great selection of liquor and wine and prices are pretty good.

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Bonaire Gift Shop has a great selection of wine and liquor. Zhung Kong Supermarket in Hato has a respectable liquor selection, and the best liquor and beer prices in my experience. The big supermarkets (Warehouse & Van den Tweel) fall somewhere between.

While quite delicious, I don't consider the local beer (Polar, a pilsner from Venezuela) to be cheap at ~$30 per case of 24 x 8oz bottles. Heineken and Amstel beers are even more expensive and U.S. beers are pretty much non-existent, which is okay with me on vacation. During our visit last winter Polar was $29/case at Zuhng Kong, $33/case at Warehouse, and not stocked at Tweel's.

Don't forget that you can purchase duty-free liquor prior to your departure from US airports to BON. I've never seen this count against carry-on item count, as they usually deliver duty-free items to you after your boarding pass is scanned.

Frankly, I'm somewhat embarassed at how much I know about buying beer and booze on Bonaire! :cheers:

The Antillean Wine Company gets my vote (you can order on line or by phone and they will deliver to your accommodation -although a visit to their chilled container is kinda fun too).

try looking at TOPS Supermarket in Playa .. the old cultimara...the store specializes in USA brands and they have a very very large selection of wine, booze and lots of different brands of beer! This store and the sister store .. Wing chung on kaya korona are considered by the locals are as an economical place to shop. Amstel of the 3 local brands usually is the lowest priced. good beer prices can always be found at Mr. lucky's market on Kaya industria next to TIS and 2 doors east of the warehouse.

Annapolis, Maryland and Santa Barbara, Bonaire

Across the street from Chat-n-Browse you can't get Miller Lite for $50/case 12oz bottles. I will be there tomorrow stocking up for a two week stay!!

How expensive is rum on Bonaire?
    Nick

TankHalfFull is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

We buy rum at Miami Duty Free--$16-18 for name-brand bottle. Always leave much of it for the housekeeping staff, but it does save $ on drinks out.

Quote Originally Posted by TankHalfFull View Post
    We buy rum at Miami Duty Free--$16-18 for name-brand bottle. Always leave much of it for the housekeeping staff, but it does save $ on drinks out.
    Thanks. Sounds like a good plan since we'll be coming thru Miami anyway.
    Nick