Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Sewer Lines?! HELP!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    kusnorkel is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Unhappy Help! Sewer Lines?! HELP!

We were counting down for months... we're all set to leave TOMORROW night at 7:30!! and now.. We were just informed by the owners of our rental (in Hamlet) that construction to install the new sewer line will begin on Monday on the road in front of their place. According to them, it will be loud and dusty and will last from 8-5 M-F. They've offered us a full refund and offered to help us find other accommodations, but I'm lost. I spent weeks... months.. planning our first trip to Bonaire and I wanted it to be perfect. My husband works doing street construction here in the US and the last thing he wants to see and hear all day long is the construction there. Where should we stay? What is far enough away from Hamlet (which is Captain Don's from what I've been told) to not be impacted?

Where should we stay?? What should we do?? HELP!!!

Thank you!!!!

That's a tough one and I can tell from experance those machines that dig the sewers lines on Bonaire are really loud and really dusty. The ground on Bonaire is all limestone and hard and makes really fine dust when it is pulverized and to make it worse the prevailing winds blow it from the inland road construction right into the ocean front resorts.

Maybe take a look at the Divi Flamingo a nice resort for your first trip and I think the road in front has it's sewer lines. As a bonus the snorkeling is premo in front of the Divi.
    And Jerry said, Keep it light, Keep it friendly. Post Like Jerry.

wwguy is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Sorry to hear about this unplanned stress right before your trip.

I suggest asking your original hosts (Leanne at BCV?) if you can stay (and pay) on a day-by-day basis while you consider the impact of the construction and have opportunity to view alternative properties first-hand. The upside for you is that you wouldn't have to commit to an unknown alternative property without looking at it first. The upside for BCV is that they'd have opportunity to recover some of their lost business.

As close as you are to departure for BON, it's unlikely that waiting until you get there will reduce your chances of getting into alternative properties. Plus, decisions like this are a lot easier to make with island air in your lungs.

Good luck!

Wen Pederson is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

We're in the same boat. We leave next week for our stay at BBV in Hamlet. We've decided to play it day by day. Fortunately, we've got 7 days in Belnem to end our stay - and they did those sewer lines last year, when we were (yep, you guessed it) staying in Belnem. Don't change your plans! Go, see other options if you need to, be flexible and ENJOY!

kusnorkel is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

I think we may do what you all suggest and hope to find something while we're there.. This is my first time visiting the island. What places would you suggest that are not near Hamlet? (Divi is booked for next week already, but thank you for the suggestion ModCecil)

i would guess anything south of town. don't know the area well enough as don't stay south. Bellafonte comes to mind as nice looking place-always wanted to stay there. also Belmar is close to them.
    did stay close to town at the blachi koko which i liked alot but its not beach front or should i say water front. above mentioned places are in Belnam.
    Bob

Wen Pederson is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

You might also check with Sunbelt Rentals to see what they have. There might be space in Bellevue or some others they manage.
    We stayed at Bellefonte last year and it was nice. If the owners of your Hamlet place are available, call them to see what they can dig up.

Julia is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Pelican Reef House is available, we love it! You can get to the web site if you google it.

I second Pelican Reef. I don't post about it much but only out of pure selfishness :-) I am sure it will cost you more for the stay but once you're there your worries will drift away. The Manta frequents Something Special which just happens to be at your back door.

In April we stayed at Pelican Reef for a week (3rd stay) and at Don's with the kids for week in an Oasis bungalow. The construction was going on near Chat and Browse and the old location of the French Bistro. You could hear it all day. The worst is the hydraulic hammer, Bang, Bang, Bang. Can't hear it under the water though, which is why your here isn't it :-) The construction has most likely past Pelican Reef so you should be OK there. Talk to Kees about some discount he may have at the local dive shop. It may offset some of the cost for moving up to paradise.

Have fun,
    Dan

Is the sewer line construction near Harbour Village? Will be there on the 1st.