Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Local Restaurant

Thumbs down Local Restaurant

My husband and I ate at a local Restaurant in Bonaire on 28 May, 2012. We had a seafood special, a shrimp special, and ceviche. The ceviche was was almost room temperture and not very "limey" as it should be. That evening, both my husband and I fell extremely ill to food poisening. We had to cancel our diving for the next day and the week in Bonaire was tarnished. We could not eat or enjoy an adult beverage and had to stay extremely close to the bathroom at all times. This lasted for almost two weeks. So diners beware of this restaurant if you want an enjoyable trip!!
    Last edited by ModFreddie; 06-10-2012 at 05:05 PM.

First, I'm sorry that you and your husband were ill while on Bonaire. But, WOW! Pretty harsh review for your first post---and, yes, I've eaten there many times and never had a problem over several years/visits. Actually, we go there for their fish/seafood specials/lobster night---and their beef. I'm curious why you ate the food/ceviche mentioned/ if you felt it was not acceptable to your standards? I personally do not know about ceviche/what temp. it should be/how much lime needed,etc.

I really am sorry you were ill and I wish you would have visited the wonderful clinic for relief! It might have "saved" your vacation. It is open to visitors and they do very good work there! (Yes! Personal experience due to a fall that resulted in a little stitching up!) However, I am not convinced that you know where you ate bad food, if it was food poisoning, etc. I don't know where else you ate prior to this meal. I do think it is in poor judgement to point a finger without having a correct diagnosis/not seeking medical help. IF, and I say IF, it was caused by this restaurant, I am truly sure they would have wanted to know and to remedy the situation. They certainly are NOT in the business of making folks ill!

Two weeks, IMO, seems a very long time for the diagnosis of "food poisoning". Perhaps it was some other type of other intestinal virus and the timing was coincidental. I truly am sorry that you didn't seek medical attention to help save your vacation/diving time on Bonaire.

No, I am not part of/do not own/etc. etc. any part of the mentioned restaurant. I've simply enjoyed many dinners there and will continue to do so if I am fortunate enough to make it back to Bonaire. This type of review will certainly cause damage. Yes, I feel it is unjust since you don't really know the cause of your problem while on the island. I understand that you are angry over your loss of vacation time! All the same, I DO wish you would have gotten medical care and a diagnosis---and alerted the restaurtant if you felt their food was the cause.

mellen

well said Mellen !!!
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

Did not know food poisoning started in such a short period of time! I have eaten there many times, and never have had a issue with there meals. Is it possible that u had a bug before u left the states? It is not fair to SLAM a place your first time visiting.

Local Restaurant is one of my favorite restaurants. Your accusation is without merit. The symptoms of food poisoning can occur from within a few hours to days after consumption. Without testing the actual food items, you are only speculating on the origin. It is totally irresponsible and highly vindictive to name a restaurant as the culprit. If you did this to a restaurant in the States you’d probably be sued for slander.
    Last edited by ModFreddie; 06-10-2012 at 05:06 PM.

yes .. it is too bad you did not seek medical attention .. in the last month or so there has been a virulent "local flu" mimicking food poisoning symptoms .. I know.. i live here, i got it and had symptoms for about 2 weeks or more .. i too, before visiting my doctor thought " it was something i ate."

Bonaireforlife and everyone else.. I have changed the name of the restaurant to Local Restaurant... Our purpose is not to slam or slander anyone or any establishment... Please see the TOS for clarification. especially the part about the moderation of any post.......

We are sorry that you had a bad experience but also realize that this bug could have been picked up anywhere including the trip down on the plane or prior to your vacation.....and unless you are qualified to diagnose your condition it is unfair to the establishment especially since you did not seek medical help.
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

Thank you! Freddie

Quote Originally Posted by melissa phillip View Post
    local restaurant is one of my favorite restaurants. Your accusation is without merit. The symptoms of food poisoning can occur from within a few hours to days after consumption. Without testing the actual food items, you are only speculating on the origin. It is totally irresponsible and highly vindictive to name a restaurant as the culprit. If you did this to a restaurant in the states you’d probably be sued for slander.
    ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bboy is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

I am a newcomer to this website. As a very experienced physician I see cases of food poisoning that can last 2 weeks. Documenting the infection by obtaining stool cultures is usually not necessary unless the symptoms last more than a few days. I can understand changing the name of the restaurant to protect it. On the other hand, it this poster indeed got sick at this restaurant which is entirely possible, then its not slander to give the real name. My wife has had a few cases of food poisoning that resulted in her getting ill a few hours after eating. I each case, I called the restaurant to alert them. My advice for travelers is to ask your physician to prescribe an antibiotic such as Cipro, and meds for nausea, vomiting, and diaahrea.