Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changing Driving License?

it is Kaya Korona and the grocery store is Progresso ..the other store is in Hato ..also ... it is not when your license expires ..there is a limited period time allowed to change based on how long you are living here ..after that you are breaking the law and of course there are varying consequences - Best check it out.

Kob, when I called Ramon he asked me for our driver's license practical exam date... which is in early Oct. He then said to call him back around Sept.20th. I guess it was too soon to setup something.
    On a different note, I was telling a Dutch friend about the process I outlined above. He said it is "bull****" and that we should not have to take the exam but instead go to the Registrar's Office and just show our US license and get a Bonairean one. I have not tried this but I have to go to the Registrar's office for another reason next week so I might give this a shot too.

Gmichael is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

He is correct...you do not have to take the written test. You would never pass it on the first rounc in any event. for the road test however I strongly urge you to call Sydney St. Jago for one "lesson" Remember, I told you so...

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

OK, another hurdle completed ... took a "lesson" from Sidney Sint Jago on Tuesday Oct 7 in preparation for the official driving test on Wednesday Oct 15 ... Michael Gaynor is absolutely right, the hour spent with Sidney was invaluable and essential to being successful ... he takes you on the actual route you'll drive (more or less) and to the exact place where you'll do your reverse parking (a school parking lot). Unless you have a lot of experience backiing a car into a small angled parking place, you will want to practice this skill before your test. Your car also needs to be in good working order (brake lights, turn signals, etc.) ... they will check before starting the test.

To avoid any chance of not getting the reverse parking right, I rented the smallest car I could get (a Chevy Spark from Hertz) for the test & practiced with it the day before. Mine was a stick shift because I have been driving stick since 1968, but there were plenty of automatics, which I would suggest renting if you are not proficient with a stick shift. Result = nailed the reverse parking. The rest of the test is reasonably easy & straightforward ... you do need to back up on a street for about 50 yards and also do what is called a U-turn without having your tires go off the road (in actuality, more like what we called a 3-point turn when I learned to drive in the 60s).

There are also some subtleties to Bonaire driving, such as shading to the center when making a left turn, making crisp wide left turns, etc. which Sidney will explain. In any event, all went well (no written test required). After passing your test, they give you a piece of paper to take to the Civil Office, where you make an appointment to come back and get your drivers licence with photo, etc. My appointment is on Oct 29, so allow about 2 weeks from test date.
    Last edited by kob; 10-21-2014 at 07:41 AM.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

"back in the day" when I went thru this process ..you were required to take the test in a console floor standard shift ..no automatics ! Then, we had to take an exam .. orally ..maybe this shift requirement should be checked out?? And again.. pabien!!!!

Now that US Passport holders can apply for admittance by rule of law just like the Dutch, has obtaining a drivers license also changed to just showing your US DL and getting issued a Bonarian DL like the Dutch can without any written or road tests?

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Excellent question ... as the law just changed at the beginning of March, I suspect that people are just now getting the new 5-year residency permits and may not have encountered the drivers license process yet. But this is Bonaire, so don't expect that kind of cross-functional coordination ... I'm just sayin'

Anyone ??
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

Quote Originally Posted by kob View Post
    Excellent question ... as the law just changed at the beginning of March, I suspect that people are just now getting the new 5-year residency permits and may not have encountered the drivers license process yet. But this is Bonaire, so don't expect that kind of cross-functional coordination ... I'm just sayin'

Anyone ??
    I agree with KOB -- who knows?? The ONLY way to handle ANY matter on Bonaire to is DO IT YOURSELF , IN PERSON at whatever department is required ..and keep in mind that here on Bonaire dress appropriately at ALL government offices .. diver/tourist casual is not acceptable and considered as disrespectful to the government ..so if you are looking for an accurate reply .. I also am "just a sayin" ...30 plus years here and well experienced --

Default Anyone with US DL with Motorcycle obtained a Bonaire DL recently.

Quote Originally Posted by petri hausmann View Post
    I agree with KOB -- who knows?? The ONLY way to handle ANY matter on Bonaire to is DO IT YOURSELF , IN PERSON at whatever department is required ..and keep in mind that here on Bonaire dress appropriately at ALL government offices .. diver/tourist casual is not acceptable and considered as disrespectful to the government ..so if you are looking for an accurate reply .. I also am "just a sayin" ...30 plus years here and well experienced --
    If you have a US DL with the endorsement for Motorcycle will they issue you a Bonarian DL with category A,B, and do you need to do the road test in a car and motorcycle?

again -the answer is to do it in person - they will want to see your license anyway -