Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Changing Driving License?

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I had a motorcycle endorsement on my Ohio Drivers License, but when I changed to a Bonaire Drivers License they only did car, not motorcycle. I may not have checked the right boxes or maybe you have to specifically request both ... Petri is right, check with the Drivers License folks IN PERSON, ask very clear questions and confirm that you understand the reply ... this advice applies to any government office.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

Default Driving License Saga Continues

Quote Originally Posted by kob View Post
    I had a motorcycle endorsement on my Ohio Drivers License, but when I changed to a Bonaire Drivers License they only did car, not motorcycle. I may not have checked the right boxes or maybe you have to specifically request both ... Petri is right, check with the Drivers License folks IN PERSON, ask very clear questions and confirm that you understand the reply ... this advice applies to any government office.
    Went to check on Bonaire DL today, Lady said I could get a "B" License by just doing the practical test and I would then only be able to drive a car. Cost 50.28 for the EXAM. If I want to keep my Motorcycle or other categories they would cost 50.28 EACH, I would have to take the BOTH the written and the practical tests in each additional category so my total cost for exams would be 201.12. On the bright side the time between scheduling and doing the driving test for the "B" license is only 5 weeks now. There also seems to be an additional charge of 4.75 for a "Bewijs van inschrijving" or Certificate of Registration which you get from the Civil Registry, and she did not mention that I needed any medical certificate. There is also an additional charge for the physical DL license itself. All fees are paid at the Civil Registry and you take proof of payment with you when you the make your appointment for the practical test. I received a paper with the names and phone numbers of 8 driving instructors, but had to ask if there was any way to get instruction before she offered me any information. It is not clear if I need a learners permit and lessons before I take the practical test to get my Motorcycle endorsement back. The lady behind the counter was not able to understand my questions I was not able to understand her answers so I plan to call the "INSTRUCTORS" on the list she gave me and hope they can give me better answers. According to the documents I obtained from http://www.bonairegov.nl/nl/leven/rijbewijs "Persons in possession of a valid driving license whose driving licenses are connected to the Convention of Geneva must do practice exam" They do not have to do the "theorie" or written exam, but she said I had to take both tests for additional categories except "B". Any suggestions ???

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

You will find that if you take a "lesson" from a local, you are almost guaranteed to pass the driving test ... if you don't, you are almost guaranteed to fail ... just sayin'
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

exactly

You need to take the test from one of the local driving instructors and make sure you get their name. Then when you are taking the real test, make sure to mention to the examiner that you took a lesson from "Jan", or whoever you driving instructor was. This tells the examiners that you followed the local process, rather than just taking the test and thinking you know it all.

Petri is right, skip the lesson at your own peril, and then you will probably fail. Take the lesson and your are almost sure to pass.

just sayin'
    Bob Bartikoski
    Owner RE/MAX Paradise Homes
    +599-786-7362
    EMail: bob@bonairehomes.com

Update, took two lessons from 2 different instructors, both were good but covered different areas, took driving test, passed in 20 minutes, piece of cake. You MUST take a lesson, if you don't you will fail the test. There are two examiners in the car with you for the test, and the test is about confidence and attitude as well as skill. Next step is to study for the theory (written) test which you must take if you want any category except B (car). Plan on taking category A (motorcycle) next. Wish me luck :-)

Hello,

I read this thread carefully, but my situation is not the same and maybe someone can be confirmed me what is the process for someone like me.
    I'm European with European driver license, but Also USA Driver License, and 2 others drivers license from different countries.

Do I need really to take lesson and I have to go through all the exams written and drive ?

I tried to contact the office directly without success.

Thanks to let me know if you know the new rules please.

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyG View Post
    Hello,

I read this thread carefully, but my situation is not the same and maybe someone can be confirmed me what is the process for someone like me.
    I'm European with European driver license, but Also USA Driver License, and 2 others drivers license from different countries.

Do I need really to take lesson and I have to go through all the exams written and drive ?

I tried to contact the office directly without success.

Thanks to let me know if you know the new rules please.
    It has been a while since we got our Bonaire driver licenses but the way I remember is that you:
    a) either have to submit and give up an existing drivers license - maybe you can spare one of the few you have
    or
    b) take the driving test (not the written one). If you do take the driving test, I do recommend that you take the lesson. It has nothing to do with your ability to drive, it is about "learning how things are done" in the Bonairean driving test.

Kate B is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Hi,

Everyone except those with a Dutch drivers license must take a driving test for a basic driver's license to drive a car. If you are a resident, you are supposed to obtain your Bonaire driver's license within 6 months of getting your residency. It can take a couple of months to schedule the test, so start this process fairly soon after you get residency.

Everyone else who has posted about lessons is exactly right - when you schedule the appointment for the test, ask for a list of instructors and take a lesson about two weeks before your test so you can practice by yourself the last week. For our driver's tests, the tester asked us if we took a lesson and who our instructor was before we even got the car started. You do not take a written test unless you are trying to get a motorcycle or truck or commercial license. They did not ask us to give up our US driver's license, we still have that.

My husband and I have been driving for many years, but we still needed the instruction - not to practice our driving, but to become familiar with the various road signs and the roundabout rules, which are different that roundabout rules we've seen elsewhere. There are also specific rules about making turns out of one way streets, how to do a start on a hill with the emergency brake on, etc. Even if you can do all these things, they have specific ways they want you to do it.

The test itself was easy - less than 20 minutes, with two testers - one in the front seat and one in the back. They were very friendly and put us at ease.

Good luck!
    All the best,
    Kate Butler
    "Ask Kate" real estate columnist for the Bonaire Reporter
    Real Estate Agent, RE/MAX Paradise Homes, Bonaire