Thread: The Butterfly Farm

Default The Butterfly Farm

I finally got to visit the Butterfly Farm yesterday and wanted to report my impressions. I will definitely be going back.

When we got there, the poor girl working by herself was a little busy. They have a gift shop, the garden, and they serve food there. It was just a little slow getting tickets, but we used the time to look around the gift shop.

They give you a self-guided ID chart (photo below) to use, but they also give you a personal tour. We were very lucky. Since the woman was so busy she called for help and we got the "head guy" for our tour. He was very knowledgeable and explained things very well to all of us (we had Marein with us). He pointed out butterflies, talked about the life cycles and feeding needs, and answered all of our questions. There were not a lot of butterflies, but that was because he just got the shipment in of chrysalises. He invited us to come back and see the new arrivals next week when they emerge. The best part is that he allows tourists to visit multiple times during their holiday. That makes the $12 per adult/ $8 per child entrance fee worth while.

Tips....the butterflies like the entrance area of the garden. Not so many at the other end. Bring your patience with you if you plan to photograph them. They are harder than fish to capture. LOL We were told that going in the morning is better as the butterflies are more active then. The garden is not very big, but they do have areas where you can rest and just enjoy them flying around. It probably is very tranquil if you do not have an active 10 year old boy with you.

We didn't try the food, but we did have drink afterwards. It was very pleasant there. I would recommend it for a lazy day activity.

28.jpg29.jpg30.jpg31.jpg32.jpg

35.jpg40.jpg43.jpg

Sorry....It wouldn't let me put all of the photos into one message.

Smile

Tribs-
    Thanks for the update. We didn't make it to the farm last year, but had in the 2 previous ones and really enjoyed it. Nice to hear about the ID chart. We'll definately go when on the island this year.

Thanks for the info. Arriving soon with my eleven year old daughter and will consider making the jaunt. Sounds very enjoyable.

Neskatai, be sure you plan for a stop for lunch before or after the visit (closed Mondays, I think, though). Their lunch menu at Kishi Kishi is small, but it is all made with locally available products. I particular find a great lunch to be an order of spring rolls filled with Alleta's goat cheese (see bonaireinsider.com if you're not familiar with Aletta's ranch), and a bowl of pumpkin soup. Their restaurant is small, but it's lovely during the day with a wonderful breeze, friendly servers, and a peaceful ambiance. I think you would enjoy it. On Sundays they don't offer their regular menu, but instead do a Jamaican BBQ.

Definitely recommend eating there. Coldest beer on the island too, I swear.

Thank you, guys and gals. Just added that to the, fairly freedom full, itinerary. Still so much that you can do.