Thread: A Purchasing Duty Free Question

Default A Purchasing Duty Free Question

Greetings All!

Believe it or not, I have not bought any alcohol at the airport since the new TSA rules went into effect. I'm a little confused now on how this works if you have a connecting flight. I know they deliver your purchase to the plane. Will it make it to the connecting flight, or should I wait to purchase during my layover between flights?

I'm planning on getting to ORD pretty early because I'm flying out the weekend NATO is here (it will be a zoo!). I figured if I got through screening quickly, I could buy in ORD.

If you have purchased and have a recommendation on what you think works best, I would love to hear from you! Thanks!

Default TSA and Duty Free Purchases

Let me state that I'm not an expert but this is what I think I've seen. I think liquids purchased within the "sterile area", that is, once you're past the TSA checkpoints are OK on subsequent flights. The problem comes if you have to exit the sterile area and then re-enter. This is why duty free carry-on is impossible on flights where you are coming in from outside the country and then have a second connecting flight. You can't clear Customs and remain in the sterile area. That being said, I'm assuming you're purchasing duty free in the US for a trip to Bonaire. If you know you will not have to leave the sterie area you may be OK.

When you clear customs on your return to the US, you'll need to repack any large bottles of liquids (whether Coca-Cola or Vodka) in your checked luggage for connecting flights within the US.
    Duty-free or otherwise doesn't matter.
    This is to ensure safety by preventing passengers from detonating the bottles during flight...

Ooops, I see you're talking about buying booze going TO Bonaire. Unclear how that works, let us know afterwards...
    Tom Schamp

So...this is how it worked. Air Force One was parked at O'Hare Airport so chaos ensued and I got on the plane without buying in Chicago. However, when I got to New Jersey, I went straight to duty free. I made my selection, brought it to the counter, had to prove I was boarding a plane leaving the US, they then gave me a receipt and said I could pick up my purchase at the gate. Sure as their word, they delivered the purchase (and many others LOL) to the gate. I now wonder if I would have been able to buy in Chicago since the duty free shop would only sell in New Jersey if you were leaving the country. Who knows. All I do know is that I am about to run out of rum and am not too happy about that. LOL Ayo!

There is PLENTY of Rum on the Island.. I'm sure I didn't drink it all!!