Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name of Bird on Bonaire Talk's Home Page

Default Name of Bird on Bonaire Talk's Home Page

I am wondering the name of the bird with the green body and yellow face that is on this site's homepage.I saw 1 when I was in Bonaire.
    Thanks.

see this website for information on the parrots

Bonaire's wild Parrots
    Last edited by ModRoy; 05-05-2019 at 03:04 AM. Reason: updated link to Bonaire's Parrots
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

If that doesn't do it this site should solve your question.
    http://bonairebirding.smugmug.com/
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by mickndot View Post
    If that doesn't do it this site should solve your question.
    http://bonairebirding.smugmug.com/
    Mick
    that did it. I just dropped my binoculars into my suitcase. I love me some birds!!!

Last September headed to Tolo at about 7 AM they were everywhere, I had to have seen at least 50.
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, beer in the other, body used up, totally worn-out and screaming, "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

We recently had our best ever parrot sightings when we were there in Feb/March. We were sitting on our screened porch(which is on the second floor and is at tree top height) and looking out directly at an almond tree. We suddenly heard an amaazing schreeching sound and a flash of green. Two parrots landed right in front of us about 6 feet away. we watched the parrots eating the covering of of the almonds-we were 6 feet away and they never cared. . they sit on the branch with one foot and use the other foot(claw) to hold the green almond(about the size of a ping pong ball) . They use their sharp beak to eat the outside covering of the almond. they will sit there for 10-20 minutes-sometimes they would quarrel over the almond or one would drop-they would just move around in the tree and get another. This ended up being a pattern-it happened at least 3 mornings while we were there. Laura got some great pictures-I'll try to get her to post some here.

We are avid birdwatchers and this was truly a highlight and amazing sighting.

Vann Evans
    A4 Sand Dollar
    Nobody is born knowing how to dive; we must practice, practice, practice.

The best I did on my recent trip, we were driving to Oil Slick along that straight section of road and a parrot flew along side us for quite a ways. Very cool birds and I hear tell of some people taht are anoyed by their squawking, I can't imagine.
    And Jerry said, Keep it light, Keep it friendly. Post Like Jerry.

I wrote a post earlier about watching Lora Parrots eating almonds. Here is a link to several of the pictures
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1113198...CL6ux9q7oMiCBQ
    Laura took all of them.
    enjoy!!
    Vann Evans
    A4 Sand Dollar
    Nobody is born knowing how to dive; we must practice, practice, practice.

randl is online now Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

They really are great pictures!

Excellent pictures, ya think they would clean their beaks for the photo shoots.
    And Jerry said, Keep it light, Keep it friendly. Post Like Jerry.