Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another day in paradise....

Default Another day in paradise....

Day 1-April 14th
    Arrived on Saturday after an uneventful trip from Boston. We flew Delta to Atlanta, then on to paradise. Flights actually ran a little early and very pleasant. Got to Flamingo around 2ish, got our luggage and was at Total car rental by about 2:30. Had an interesting ride to Den Laman - we got a little turned around, but had a lovely tour along the way LOL.

Finally made it to Den Laman, checked in (front desk woman put the fear of God into me if we played with the air conditioner or lost a room key). Nevertheless we got all of luggage upstairs and hubby ran across the street to the liquor store for some wine and beer to start! Enjoyed that on our gorgeous balcony overlooking Bari Reef.

Decided to take a look around (making sure we both had our room keys!). Stopped at the bar at Sunset Grill where we met DiveSargeant, fellow BT'r! The it was off to Van Der Tweel for supplies. Really nice market and lots of fun trying to figure out what some of the products were as we don't read Dutch! Very friendly people who work there! The security guard actually paid for our shopping cart (25 cents)-very nice of him. Back to the condo, which I have to say is beautiful-it really helps to get info on places like BT when it is your first time to a destination.

It had been a very long day, so we just went downstairs to Sunset for dinner and sunset. Service was on island time which we expected and enjoy, food was good. Hubby had calamari for an appetizer and it was excellent!

Day 2-April 15th
    Hubby went to orientation at BDA, it was long but good he said. I am a snorkeler, he is the diver.

We had some lunch and went for a snorkel at Bari - I couldn't wait to get into that gorgeous water! We were not disappointed! Saw so many fish - I will post pictures soon. Hubby saw a frogfish and green spotted eel, i saw a flounder and trumpetfish, along with all the other usual suspects. We did see the cutest spotted trunkfish - it was like she was actually posing for us, i got many many pictures of her! I got my first underwater camera for Christmas, and I have to say I didn't do too badly first time around, I hope you will agree when you see the pics.

Oh - in the morning while having coffee on our gorgeous balcony (yeah we like it) I saw something in the water I thought it looked like a turtle sticking his head up. Hubby got the binoculars and sure enough, that's what it was! Wish it had been close enough to get a good picture - oh well, maybe I will see one when I'm snorkeling! OK off to finish my coffee and get ready for our snorkeling trip with Renee- I am very excited about that. I will post more soon....
    Last edited by ModRoy; 04-30-2012 at 07:50 AM. Reason: paragraphed

My bad - I forgot to say that we went to Pasa Bon Pizza for dinner on Sunday...alas no lion fish pizza, but hubby had the fish (wahoo) pizza and I had sausage. I must say that I was not expecting to get such good pizza here, but it was delicious. We will definitely be paying another visit there before going home!

jkehnle is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Ahhh, go ahead. Make us all green with jealously!

Thanks for the report, and keep the good news coming...

I enjoyed sensing your enthusiasm and contentment; on our first trip to Bonaire two years ago we had the same delighted reaction to everything we encountered. The good news is that if you're that type of person, it feels the same way on successive trips. I hope the rest of your vacation is equally pleasant.

Regards...Patsy ><((((o>

Quote Originally Posted by schoude View Post
    My bad - I forgot to say that we went to Pasa Bon Pizza for dinner on Sunday...alas no lion fish pizza, but hubby had the fish (wahoo) pizza and I had sausage. I must say that I was not expecting to get such good pizza here, but it was delicious. We will definitely be paying another visit there before going home!
    We've been eyeing that place as we drive by. Thanks for the review! Sounds like we'll have to stop in for dinner soon. See ya around!

coldwaterlloyd Lurker

Pasa Bon is on my top ten Pizza lists worldwide . After a day soaking in the saltchuk is anything as good as an ice cold Bright and a Pasa Bon Pie ?

Day 3
    It's a good thing I am an early riser so I can get this trip report in this morning-never turned on my computer last night.

It was a beautiful day after the rain overnight (it can rain all it wants, as long as it is when we are sleeping!

I had scheduled a snorkel trip with Renee and we were looking forward to it! She picked us up at Den Laman at 9:30 and off we went. She is great! I had told her previously that I was recovering from a broken shoulder and she was sure to take us where there was an easy entry and not too deep, as I wasn't quite sure how I would do. As it turned out all was good. I will post pics when I figure out how....but I am very excited to say that I saw my first AND second octopus yesterday! I have to say that they are smaller than I thought they would be, even after hubby had told me they were. But very exciting nonetheless! The grand kids will be thrilled! We also saw Christmas tree worms, several eels, including a giant eel (we saw all of him, not just his head), grey angelfish, a jackknife (?) and lots more. It was fabulous!

Then we decided to take a drive up to Gotomeer to see the flamingos. Well either we weren't in the right place, or there weren't any flamingoes home. Had a very interesting drive anyway!

We decided to go to Bistro de Paris for dinner. We loved it. We started with escargot - excellent!! The wine was very good, I thought. I had beef tenderloin - scrumptious, and hubby had the frogs legs (they are on the appetizer list, but will make them a dinner if you ask). They were absolutely yummy!!! A little on the pricey side, but we have spent more at some restaurants at home.

I was ready for bed by nine! Which probably explains why I didn't post! Today hubby is hoping to do his first dive, he needs to find a buddy - I'm sure he will. He posted on the board at BDA. Hmmmm....I must go investigate, just heard a donkey braying in the empty lot next store...sounds like a photo op....will post again soon!
    Last edited by ModRoy; 04-30-2012 at 07:48 AM. Reason: paragraphed

I'm enjoying each episode of your trip report. I agree that going with Renee is great; we have done that each time we've been in Bonaire. Do you know the names of the snorkeling sites she took you to? We also love Bistro de Paris and are looking forward to seeing the new location.

Regards...Patsy ><((((o>

Day 4
    Got a bit of a slow start, hanging on the balcony enjoying the view.

Attempted some snorkeling in front of the condo at Bari, unfortunately it has been a bit wavy the last couple of days so visibility wasn't so hot - a bit murky. So I had a rum and coke and some calamari at Sunset while hubby did a short dive. I had no trouble seeing those, LOL.

We decided to take a little nap after lunch (ah the beauty of vacations!). Then we took a ride into town and walked around a bit. Saw some of the restaurants we plan to visit, but then came across one place I have read so much about and was dying to go to - Gio's (Gia's?) for gelato - pure heaven!! Such a nice treat on a hot afternoon!

It was Lobster night at Sunset (every Tuesday), so we thought we'd give it a whirl. Nothing beats a Maine lobster, but when in the islands... I do not like to be at all negative as we are on vacation, after all - but I was less than impressed (we both were) with the lobster - especially for the price they wanted! Of course we ate it anyway! And there was a beautiful sky at sunset...

OK now I will post my second (and hopefully last) slightly negative comment. After dinner as we were sitting on our balcony (above Sunset restaurant ) the odor wafting up was quite awful. I do LOVE lobster, but the smell of them grilling it mixed in with the other smells from the restaurant was a little bit too much for me, so I had to go inside. Don't get me wrong, I love Den Laman - the room is awesome, but it is just that smell I have trouble with.

Enough of that...I am going to attempt to attach a couple of photos from the last couple of days snorkeling, hope it works! Ok, it won't seem to let me upload from my computer, so I will have to play around a bit. Hope to have some pics to show you later!
    Last edited by ModRoy; 04-30-2012 at 07:46 AM. Reason: paragraphed

Might I suggest you try Will's and have his smoked Blue Marlin appetizer? At the moment I think he has the best food with the best presentation, on the Island. Of course we love eating at Casa Blanca and Pasa Bon fish pizza is my favorite.