Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Another day in paradise....

Day 11
    We started our day with a 5 hour sail/snorkel with Woodwind to Klein Bonaire.
    We met at Divi at 8:45 am for a 9:00 sail. While waiting on the dock, what should swim by but a manta ray! He was pretty big - we had been trying to see him at Bari where he makes an appearance a couple of times a day, but had always missed him. So now we can say we saw him. We then boarded the sailboat with 26 other guests, a pretty large group, but the crew had no trouble making everyone welcome and comfortable. This trip had been recommended to us by several people, and now we know why.

We did three snorkels had snacks and dinks and a very tasty lunch (hot). As I have mentioned previously in some of my reports, I am a bit of a wimpy snorkeler.

Well our first drift snorkel was pretty deep (by my standards anyway), and hubby was a bit afraid that I would chicken out and get back on the boat. But I didn't! And am I glad I didn't! It was beautiful, even though it was very windy and the seas were quite choppy. the corals and sponges were beautiful, the fish were plentiful and Dee, our guide (we were broken up into 3 smaller groups), do e down frequently to point out things of interest. Our highlight of that snorkel was the turtle we saw just before getting back on the boat! Now they do guarantee 99% of the time that you will see a turtle, but apparently not at this particular stop. So even Dee was surprised! And it was magnificent, swimming through the ocean. I can go home happy now! Although not just yet.

Our second snorkel was in what Dee called shallow water - clearly not what I call shallow water, LOL, but again it was beautiful with lots to see. Some very large trumpet fish, some black margates, cowfish, angelfish, and beautiful coral and sponges again.

Our third snorkel was pretty deep - looking for turtles - and right on and over the edge of the reef (I can't believe I actually swam over the edge - the only one more surprised than me was hubby! He said he was very proud of me! I must say so was I!). We saw two turtles here! One swimming and the other sleeping on the bottom. I have to say that this last snorkel was a bit of a challenge with the current a bit strong, and the waves a bit rough. I found it a little difficult to keep up at times. But Dee was always checking to make sure everyone was ok. I forgot to mention during our first snorkel we also saw some squid - love those little guys, so cute!

After our final snorkel we were treated to a very nice lunch and trip back. While we were having lunch the crew heard from another boat had seen a whale heading toward the area where we were! Both the crew and passengers were very excited, and we ended up staying out a bit longer than the five hours looking for the whale. Unfortunately we never did see him, but it was fun looking!

After leaving the boat, we realized that we had gotten quite a bit of sun and that we were pretty exhausted, so we headed back to our room and had a little nap.

Then we headed downtown to walk around and find somewhere for dinner. Of course it was close to six so most everything was either closed or closing. So we are going to try the shopping thing again this afternoon, just earlier! I need to buy some souvenirs for the grand kids! And myself of course! We ended up having a couple of drinks at Karels, very enjoyable and great location.
    We decided to go back to Paradise Moon (I needed some Walking Sticks, they are yummy!). Hubby got his Lionfish ceviche again and I got ribs and he got mango shrimp. Both were great and will also be lunch today! We filled up on our appetizers and couldn't finish dinner! It was a great, if not exhausting, day.
    Last edited by ModRoy; 04-30-2012 at 07:30 AM. Reason: paragraphed

Day 12
    oh, I hate writing day 12 - it is getting dangerously close to that dreaded day when we must return to reality But until then we will enjoy ourselves!

So, on day 12 we decided to head south for a scenic drive. Past the salt piles, the pink water and kept going. We stop at the white slave huts and then drove on taking some beautiful pictures of the water and eventually the waves. But before the waves we stopped at red slave and took a bunch of pictures and thought about the fact that people actually lived in those things...how awful.

Then we continued our drive and stopped briefly at Lac Bay, where windsurfing was in full swing - they must be loving theses windy days we have been having! Man, the water is beautiful over there (not that it isn't everywhere else too!) then we headed in the direction of Lac Cai, and back home again. Of course we saw a fair share of donkeys, goats, sheep and chickens along the way!

We had some lunch (leftovers from Paradise Moon the night before) and hubby headed out to do a dive at Bari - still no luck with dive buddies. That kind of sux, but at least the snorkeling is amazing as well, and there is plenty to do and see here. I was going to go for a snorkel, when I couldn't find my booties. After much thought, we realized that I must have left them on the woodwind. Sure enough, they have them - we will drive over and get them this morning.

So we decided to go in and walk around town and do some shopping. I was a little unimpressed with the shops, a lot of the same in each of the souvenir shops. We did buy Captain Don's "Reef Windows". Seems like an interesting read. Stopped by Mona Lisa for a drink, and had a very nice conversation with some Dutch couples. Cute place, but don't look up...there is a collection of hats (a good collection, I might add) that have not seen the feather end of a feather duster in, it seems, many years! Just waiting for one of those very large pieces of dust to fall into my drink! Ugh...

Oh well, it was fun anyway! We decided to have dinner at "At Sea" having driven by it several times and saying, that's a cute place, we'll have to go there. So we did - and we were not disappointed at all! Pleasantly surprised actually. After reading from some folks that the food here in Bonaire is mediocre at best, we weren't expecting much. We do eat out a lot at home and while I wouldn't maybe consider us expert foodies, we certainly do know good food when we eat it, as we are used to eating in some very fine eating establishments in and around the Boston area and other places we have traveled. We have been impressed by some of the restaurants here Appetite, At Sea to name a couple. Their offerings, waitstaff, presentation and quality has been superb. Not at all what we were expecting, but pleasantly surprised and impressed. We still love the pizza at PBP, and plan to go there tonight as I am craving their sausage pizza and hubby wants to check and see if they have Lionfish pizza tonight. So, I guess what I am trying to say is that there are many choices here, some more expensive than others, some more gourmet than others, but all in all we had many very good dining experiences here on the island. Unfortunately, the waistbands on my pants are not as impressed, LOL! OK - off to start day 13....a windy one at that!
    Last edited by ModFreddie; 04-26-2012 at 08:31 AM.

Day 13
    Hubby did a dive out front, and I snorkeled in the morning and saw a disturbing sight. Some snorkeler was kicking over rocks! I saw him do it twice and wanted to say something, but he swam away too quickly and I am not sure where he got out, but I know it wasn't our dock. I have to think what is wrong with people that they think it is ok to do that!

We then had a healthy (hahaha) lunch at Sunset Grill - calamari, goat cheese fritters, fries and a couple of Brights....so we decided to walk it off in town and did some shopping. The cruise ship was in so we visited the vendor booths didn't see much there, picked up a couple things, but then hit a couple of stores and pretty much took care of our souvenir list. And of course we had to stop at Gio's for what looks to be our last gelato of the trip - very sad. Unless, of course, we decide to go in and get some today! Otherwise, I will have to wait for next year. I am pretty sure we have decided to come back next year - probably in February or early March. We are thinking about staying at Capt Don's. Good choice? Would love to hear thoughts on that....

Had to hit Pasa Bon Pizza one last time and hubby lucked out - they had Lionfish pizza and he loved it! I got hooked on the sausage and was craving that - I don't know what is going to happen when I start craving it once we get home!

Ha! Some people wait until they've been home a few days before they start dreaming of their next trip to Bonaire. Recalling your wonderful trip reports, I feel that you sampled a lot of the best of the island, and I can tell you from experience that you will get a lot of pleasure from reading others' contributions to Bonaire Talk Forum until you can get back here. My husband and I have had a firm policy of never returning to the same destination twice until we had seen the world, but we had to revise the policy with The Bonaire Exception.

Regards...Patsy ><((((o>

Patsy - we always had the same policy, until we went to Bonaire. This October will be our third trip in 4 years (last year was the South Pacific).

Yes, we have always said that as well. But we both definitely want to come back - there are so many things to do and see and lots of restaurants we didn't get to yet LOL. Not to mention the awesome snorkeling and diving!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful trip with all of us schoude! I am looking forward to seeing some pictures once you get home and have recovered from PBD!
    Lori Mulhisen

schoude,

Both of our trips are ending, and it is a sad thing.

I hope you have a safe flight back and can return to Bonaire soon.

DS

Thanks DS - safe trip to you and your wife also. It is sad, as it was a wonderful vacation...

Day 14
    On our last full day, I wanted to spend most of it in the water.

I did a snorkel out in front and hubby did a dive, we drove over to 18th Palm where we saw our first squid of the trip - I love how they swim in formation, and were very cooperative in having their picture taken! We stopped at yellow submarine (singing, of course), where I no sooner had my face in the water when I spotted an eel, a nice snorkel as well.

We stopped at Elle's Deli for a lunch of goat stew - had my heart set on having some before we left and it was great!

Did one more snorkel out front at Bari to bid farewell to all of our friends...I must have seen 5-6 eels, a barracuda, flounder, lizardfish (who followed me around until I took their picture-again), a trumpetfish, scorpionfish, a very large spotted drum and my first Lionfish of the trip.

Speaking of Lionfish (nice segue) we had dinner at Cactus Blue and had their famous and wonderful Lionfish fritters! We both had jerked barracuda, which was very good. It was a nice last full day.

Now I must say goodbye and go finish packing for our trip home. I will definitely post some pictures - I think I got some pretty good ones - first time with my underwater camera (gift from hubby for Christmas). I am excited to sleep in my own comfortable bed again, and we have missed the grandkids....
    Last edited by ModRoy; 04-30-2012 at 07:23 AM. Reason: paragraphed