Thread: Residence permit.......... My latest

Default Residence permit.......... My latest

Went for my annual temporary residence permit renewal and a cupla things/caveats.
    They called the wrong name at my appointment..... this is the second time it has happened..... they might use your middle name etc..... ecoute bien! .... if you do not respond you are a noshow.
    They require a notarial deed in your name showing a HOME? valued at $140000...... bad news for all you container/tent aficionados..... the 250 thou shown in the English version is wrong..... that originally was for guilders.
    They require a LOCAL bank letter saying you have a positive balance..... this can be one dollar..... the balance does not seem to matter as long as it has a plus sign before the digit/s.
    Proof of income they wanted a bank balance of $20000...... bon chance.
    Also if you have not done your homework (their quote)(MY case) and documents are missing.... yup!..... you will be allowed 2 weeks to comply after which you will forfeit your $247 and will have to start all over again.
    The machine at the entrance was broken as usual and when you pushed the English tab you were rewarded in Spanish..... ole! ..... also from time to time the window TV screen may crash and numbers will be announced in Papiamentu..... plus bon chance.
    One final point.... in order to gain a residence permit for an indefinite period (permanent as opposed to temporary) you must have 5 consecutive years of uninterrupted residency..... if you miss by even a NY minute year-to-year you have to start all over from scratch..... renew early or better yet get an agent to do all the running around while you sit in the shade with a bright.

Thank you Hank for sharing your experience at the Residence permit Office.
    How many times have you already done the procedure for the temporary permit?
    The proof of income seems to be high annually, or do you need to have such amount on your account?
    Can you share those 2 answers with us.
    Appreciate your reply.

This is my 9th year.
    If you can show an income of $20000 a year, I think they will waive the $20000 bank balance..... I struggle on social security..... you can guess what MY balance is.
    Go into IND on any day when it is standing room only and ask for ....... all those for residency with a bank balance of $20000 ..... raise your right hand..... dont be surprised if nobody reponds...... you can also try this with the notarial deed for 140 thou with same result.
    Good luck.

i don't understand why you did not choose to apply for your permanent residency after 5 years ? i have been on island for 30 years and altho requirements were somewhat different .. they were also difficult. now i also rely on my SS and bonaire pension but as a permanent resident I do not have to prove anything except a certiifcate of registry with the census office and pay a fee of around $20 for a 5 year renewal.. good luck in your efforts.as they say here .. pasenchi ( patience)

Continuity means unbroken...... you miss by a day and it is square one...... this is not explained to new residents and some, like me, have language difficulties and lose a year/s...... lack of language skill is not an acceptable excuse.... you live here, learn the language or get professional help to do the paperwork.

Exactly .... IND emphasizes promptness in filing .. you snooze you lose .. even by one day ... IND does not accept any excuses .. particularly the "I didn't know" .. it is easy enough to stay up to date .. just requires effort... yes... if you chose to live in a foreign country you should learn the ;language.. all in all papiamentu is not that difficult and the locals are very happy and eager to help if you again make the effort ...

"They require a notarial deed in your name showing a HOME? valued at $140000...... bad news for all you container/tent aficionados..... the 250 thou shown in the English version is wrong..... that originally was for guilders."

Seems the answer to this depends upon who you talk to. I was told it was 250,000 and not 140,000 and since my deed said I paid $180,000 I was required to prove the unfinished home would be worth $250,000 when finished. They directly said that the $140,000 was incorrect. The value is $250,000 on both the English and Dutch version.

So if what you say is correct, then the answer depends upon who you talk to at IND. I asked about this in another thread regarding $250,000 but nobody answered with direct knowledge of the issue. Several speculated that it was Guilders but not from direct experience. You are the first to say that the value is $140,000 USD.

The paperwork I submitted for my residency stated $140,000 so I thought I was OK, but IND said NO WAY, $250,000 USD.
    I did receive my temporary residency after I was able to prove the value was $250,000, They originally denied residency because my deed said $180,000 USD!

The Dutch version says 140...... the English 250...... divide 250 by 1.78 (old guilder exchange rate)..... comes out pretty close to 140.
    I asked about people who choose to rent...... dont want the responsibility or liability of home ownership..... answer..... this is for snowbirds...... 6 monthers.
    I am not sure if you can be forced to buy a product (house) if you choose not to do so.
    I am not sure if you can be forced to utilize a local bank if you choose not to do so.
    I am not sure if you want to fight city hall.
    It is ironic..... you have family re-unification going on at one desk and...... "your permit may be denied"..... at another because your home is not expensive enough.
    There is quite a bit of local latitude in the decision making process maybe that is how you get different answers.
    The people who are happiest are the realtors...... more/bigger/better/ka ching!
    Dont get poor.... there is no...... "Give me your tired your poor your huddled masses"..... here.
    Bon Chance!

For those who choose to hire an agent to do all the paperwork..... I believe Michael Gaynor at Chat n Browze can guide you here....... Michael jump in if I am wrong on this.