Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wet suit - 3mil shortie ok?

Hi,

My wife wears a long wetsuit when ging for a daytip to Klein Bonaire, otherwise she will wear a shortie. Both are 3 mil and thats oke for her (you should know she won't enter water colder than 25 degrees centigrade)

I tend to wear a 3 mil shortie and use a lot of suncream.

Good luck

Just my experience, I dive with a 5mil as I also get cold easy. If I'm snorkeling for more than a 1/2 hour, I also wear my 5mil just so I stay comfortable & it helps to keep the sun off as previously mentioned! Though I have snorkeled in a 3mil shorty, and it's certainly do-able, albeit a little cool! Agree that it's SO much easier to take on and off-Good luck!

I ended up bringing a 3 mil shorty and was very pleased with it. Used lots of spray sun tan lotion on arms and legs and never got a sunburn. Had a wonderful two weeks in Bonaire despite the 12 hr United delay last Saturday am. At least we were taken to the Divi for the day for complimentary breakfast and lunch. Many of us took our masks and swimsuits so we could snorkel at Divi and use the pool. My boyfriend and I didn't get home to CT until 5:30am. Two very tired campers! We usually go to Bon in November but I've decided I like April better.

Sunscreen in more important than the length of the suit.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDan View Post
    Sunscreen in more important than the length of the suit.

Yeah, what DeputyDan said!

I did the whole two weeks of diving in beach shorts and under-armor-type tank tops. I do not chill easily, though. Sure, I got the odd scrape getting in and out and brushed some fire coral with my thigh once but it is a calculated risk.

More importantly, we both used sunscreen liberally and took supplements to help avoid sunburn. Nothing like a sunburn to dampen a vacation!

DS