Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Health Care Nightmare

Thanks for taking the time to update us and give us details. Sounds like if you need medical attention on Aruba you are much better off leaving asap.

Hope your husband has continued his recovery. Can you clarify how this expense was covered under DAN. When I reviewed my DAN policy (Preferred Level) it indicates coverage of $250,000 for in water dive related accidents and $10,000 lifetime max for non dive related accidents but does not indicate any coverage for illness.

Quote Originally Posted by DWJ View Post
    Hope your husband has continued his recovery. Can you clarify how this expense was covered under DAN. When I reviewed my DAN policy (Preferred Level) it indicates coverage of $250,000 for in water dive related accidents and $10,000 lifetime max for non dive related accidents but does not indicate any coverage for illness.
    Thank you DWJ, he is improving everyday!

We're at the preferred level also, it's the DAN Travel Assist that you are automatically enrolled in that paid my husband's expenses. We paid for the air ambulance from Bonaire to Aruba so that they (Bonaire hospital) would set it up. We didn't know until after the Bonaire Hospital already set it up that we should have called DAN first & let them do it, but they said since it was already in the process to go with the arrangements that the Bonaire hospital had made. We were told to submit the bill to DAN for reimbursement, which we've done & are waiting to hear back. We were also told to submit any bills our primary insurance didn't cover for consideration of payment by DAN, which we did & are waiting to hear from them. DAN has already paid for the air ambulance from Aruba to Miami and for his return trip home from Miami to Detroit (first class).
    Here's more on the Travel Assist program https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/m.../Travel_Assist

While he was in Aruba, I talked to a girl at DAN who told me that she didn't think anything would be covered because he had an "illness" rather than an accident. However, the guy we dealt will from the first phone call, Scott, told us not to worry about it & things have been paid, so "illness" must be a gray area lol.

Could you clarify one point? Previously it was stated that the medical evacuation to the U.S. cost $180,000 and Dan paid for it. According to their web site, the travel assist maximum is $100,000 per person. I hope they paid the full cost but wonder why.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparty View Post
    Could you clarify one point? Previously it was stated that the medical evacuation to the U.S. cost $180,000 and Dan paid for it. According to their web site, the travel assist maximum is $100,000 per person. I hope they paid the full cost but wonder why.
    Sparty......they did pay the full cost for the air ambulance from Aruba to Miami, we did not see the actual bill, hubby was told the amount by one of the medical team on the flight after he asked, they could have been mistaken or hubby could have been mistaken as to what he actually heard.....it was quite a busy day for him that day. On a normal air lift DAN sends an EMT & a nurse, for my husband, there was also a doctor because his condition was so serious & he had that tube in his back. The whole thing was set up by DAN whereas the lift from Bonaire to Aruba was set up by the Bonaire doctors so that was included on the Bonaire hospital bill we had to pay before they would send him.

Just wanted to update that DAN insurance did not cover any of my husbands medical costs that were not paid by his primary insurance. DAN told him to submit the bills for consideration, which he did, but they were denied. They were denied because his condition was brought on by illness rather than an accident or dive related emergency. We're fine with that, just thankful for everything they did do!