Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would you still go to bon

I don't cook on vacation, Bonaire or any other island.

WELL, that is good for you............BUT you still didn't answer my questions.... Would you still go to Bonaire??
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

what is the question, would I still go to Bonaire if I had to cook for myself? NO, I wouldn't go anywhere if I had to cook for myself, spending time in a kitchen is not my idea of a vacation, but like you said earlier, everyone has a different idea of a vacation, so I am sure there are many people that go to Bonaire to cook lol.. I try to stay out of the house on vacation. How come I always get asked on the plane or in the airport by other Bonaire bound passengers "Why do you go to Bonaire if you don't dive?' This is my 9th trip coming up, that question has been asked of me EVERYTIME. Again, there is more to Bonaire than what is underwater. I get it, divers are passionate about diving, as they should be, but that doesn't make the rest of us lepers. And for the record, I live on the beach and can see the waters of the Gulf of Mexico from my kitchen, so if I have to cook every night, i could stay home and have a great view.

There ya go I guess it would be similar to someone going to the Alps and not skiing.... they just want to be there to take in the sites..... Not a bad thing as a matter of fact it is a good thing,. Well the next time you go just say you are going to recuperate from some dreaded disease and they will leave you alone
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

I have been bit by the snorkeling bug on my last two trips, but being slightly claustrophobic I have no desire to venture down under.

What exactly is the point here? I do not get the difference between a vacation with diving and a vacation without diving?

Yikes! I have not dove for the last 8 trips to Bonaire. I love the island, the peace and tranquility it provides, the friends I have made over the years and the beauty, yes beauty, I find above water as much as below. I people watch, eat good food, windsurf a little and visit friends. I have traveled the world and still choose to go to Bonaire. I also have beautiful scenery and the ocean less than 30 minutes away. Bonaire has always been my place of solace, the grounding perspective of the humble lifestyle enjoyed by most. JPH, as you can see you have invoked the passion people feel about this island, so my original point stands, BT'ers do care about Bonaire more than I think you realized. Thats all. Peace.
    R.A.

Well this has been interesting . . went from expressing concern regarding the shootings, to must not care if we did not express an outcry, to inferring that if we would not go to Bonaire with out diving then we don't care about Bonaire or the people of Bonaire.

I was shocked when I heard about the shootings, and concerned for people on Bonaire (visitors I know, and residents I know and don't know as well). Much like when there have been reportings in past years of increased crimes of varying levels of concern and incidents of violence, I worried about how this would effect the tourism industry that Bonaire depends on, and worried that people are being effected by this in so many ways. No, I did not post anything. Why does not posting mean I don't care? Would my posting my feelings change anything?

Would I go to Bonaire if not to dive? Perfectly honest . . . No. As much as I cherish my friends on Bonaire, it is too expensive for me to get there. I have to save and save to be able to afford my occasional dive vacations to where I feel the best diving in the world for me is; Bonaire. I miss my friends on Bonaire and do stay in touch with them. And I understand that they can not spend the $ to come visit me just to visit me, too. So my not going to Bonaire if not to dive has nothing to do with how much I care about Bonaire and its people. I have done alot to help people on Bonaire over the years, much more than I ever have done any where else that I have vacationed. I have not made the friends on other vacations like I have on Bonaire over the years. And I have no need to list any of what I do to help my friends, on Bonaire, just to convince somebody that I care. I don't need to prove myself to anybody judging me just because I chose to not post an outcry.

That's my 2 cents worth, enough said.
    Last edited by denisemaine; 03-07-2012 at 02:01 PM. Reason: I want to fix my typos

Denise, while you choose not to toot your own horn regarding what you have done for Bonaire, please allow me say for you.. TOOT TOOT. And a giant thank you from someone who knows much of what you have done to help others. xo

Little Ole Me is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I go for the animal shelter...
    And to see a handsome man with a wooden leg and his beautiful sidekick.
    And for meetings with great friends, and for meeting new friends.
    And for the lizards that run across the road.
    And the parrots and flamingos that fly in the sky.
    I go for the donkey sanctuary...
    And the fishes...yes the fishes too!