Thread: Anyone try diving with the GoProŽ HD HERO2 Surf ?

Default Anyone try diving with the GoProŽ HD HERO2 Surf ?

I'd like to know if this would be a good choice for a camera to dive with.

Hi John, Welcome to BonaireTalk, our very own ModFreddie is on island at the moment and is using a GoPro, not too sure which model though.

I'm sure she will post here when they get back from Dinner

She has posted a few pics & videos from it in her Trip report thread which can be found at this link -MF-and-Ppoo-go-to-Bon
    PRA & ET Inc
    Proof Readers Anonymous & Extreme Testers

JP Welcome Back we have missed you

My canon g10 is not working so I am doing back up photos on my Go PRo... the videos are good although the color could be better..... the problems I have incountered.....

1/ you must turn the camera on before you put it in the housing

2/ you cannot zoom in on anything once it is in the housing

3/ the digital screen is too small to be able for me to focus in on an object . that I cannot zoom in on anyway

4/ the single photos can be grainy

iI am glad I have the back up camera but I am sure if I find a frog fish that I will have to video it and not take stills...... if there is a whale shark I am in like flynn as it is a wide angle camera check out my trip report...... the puffer video . the last video that I posted is a go pro video.... I will see If I can upload some more....

again Welcome back
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Hmmmm:
    Re 1: You CAN turn it on after it is in the housing, at least the GoPro housing.
    Re 2: You cannot ever zoom with the GoPro, in or out of housing.
    Re 3: You can't focus it anyway (it is fixed focus), so I'm not sure of the problem here. Maybe Freddie means she can't aim it at something small, but the camera won't work closer than about 6 inches anyway.
    Re 4: The still photo resolution on the HERO 2 is 11 megapixels (comparable to the G10), but the older HERO (I think this is what Freddie has) is only 5 mp.

And it helps a LOT to read the manual! LOL
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

turns out I was mistaken IMAGINE THAT!!! and I did read the manual

I have a SARTECH model very similar to the Go PRO.....my housing has been adapted to go a bit deeper than the original Go Pro....

www.Sartech.com
    Last edited by ModFreddie; 02-26-2012 at 07:32 AM.
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

tursiops is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

LOL again!!
    The sartech site is really interesting, but I think the Sartek.com site is what you mean......

And yes, that flat lens is an essential modification for u/w use. I use a Blurfix. There are several possibilities. The nicest replacement housing is problem the GolemGear: http://www.golemgear.com/p-636-golem...-lcd-back.aspx.
    Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

Thanks for the replies.

I don't have a camera and I saw it at Best Buy and thought it would work. Oh well, I'll keep looking.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good, reasonably priced underwater camera?

Hello,
    I have read wonderful things about this camera and am personally looking to buy a GOPRO HD Surf. I am looking for advise her as well My husband bought the new SeaLife camera and used it down in Bonaire last year and the pictures were great. Good Luck on your search