Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 days in paradise

Default 8 days in paradise

Just returned - 5th trip in 5 years - our first time staying on the south side (Belnam). We actually ended up liking the location better - we definitely used less gas than our previous 4 years when staying in Sabedeco. The new grocery store is amazing - we only ended up eating out 3 times. At Sea was great and we (finally) tried It Rains Fishes - fantastic!

We had some great diving - at night we saw a spotted eel catch and devour a blue tang and an octopus slithering around. During the day we saw a green moray eel with a DEAD lion fish about 5 inches in front of him. He was mad at us - think he had just killed it and wanted to eat it and we were interrupting his dinner. Only a few turtle sightings - but we now call this the year of the eel - they are everywhere...

We heard on Feb 13th there were 3 hump backed whales - we missed that - but on Feb 14th there were tons of Spinner Dolphins in between Klein and the Hato area - our group jumped off the boat and had a ball.

Tried the UV night dive - we all agreed it was good to do once - but once is enough. I think the price point is too expensive - you don't really need a guide (and I think guided night dives with more than 2 people is hard because you just end up bunched together and banging into each other trying to see what the guide is pointing out...) - wish the dive shops would just rent the mask cover and special flashlight. It was cool to see the colors and the amazing amount of living creatures that you never notice on a regular night dive - the worms really glow with the UV.

My favorite dives this year were Tailor Made and Angel City. The amount of fish on the 2nd reef at Angel City was amazing and the coral at Tailor Made is so stunning. Least favorite was Oil Slick and Tolo (which in previous years we have loved...).

Time to start planning the next trip to Bonaire..

agree about Tailor made. hoping to do that again this march. great memory.
    Bob

coldwaterlloyd Lurker

Thanks for sharing your trip report .

Thanks for the report. Have never been to Tailor Made but have seen good reports so will give it a try in... 2 weeks, can't wait!!!

Nice trip report.....how did you like the neighbors from up North?? See ya in the BVI

jkehnle is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Thanks for the cool report. Last year, my wife was snorkeling right off the Harbour Village beach, and found herself in the middle of a dozen or so dolphins. I really hope they see some next week...

LouiseG is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

I can't dive anymore and I'm not a strong swimmer, can I snorkel at Tailor Made without being washed out to sea?

Default Neighbors

Quote Originally Posted by townses View Post
    Nice trip report.....how did you like the neighbors from up North?? See ya in the BVI

Meeting them was our favorite part of the trip )) - same place already booked for next Feb - you guys are booked also - right??

Haven't booked yet, but will be there same time next year.............cant wait to do those night dives again.

Scuba Sheila is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Nice report. We also enjoyed Angel City and saw so much life there, as well as Aquarius & Salt Pier. It was truly like swimming in an aquarium, which is my favorite part of diving. Oil Slick was really murky the day we went, and not so good but we did have a really nice dive at Tolo, so we'll still keep that as one of our favorites for now! The UV dive sounds fun and haven't done that yet. We arrived on the 18th, just after the whale & dolphin adventures - Dang!
    Glad you had a nice time and thanks for sharing!