Thread: Puppy in Bonaire February 4-11 2012

Default Puppy in Bonaire February 4-11 2012

Hi all! This is my fifth trip since 2003 and I'm still in love with Bonaire.

I'm staying at the Yachtclub Apartments and am very impressed with the operation. Everything is clean and well-maintained. Sandra is the only staff member that I have met face to face but Dana was a good communicator by email.

I'm happy to have finally discovered Pasa Bon Pizza that everyone raves about. I invested in a giant salad that will last me four days and a custom pizza that would make any kid under the age of 18 want to barf! What kind of crazy person puts Anchovy, Mushroom and Hot Peppers on a pie? Me. And it was AWESOME!

Being primarily a snorkeler, I will sometimes take a boat-trip with divers or the water-taxi to Klein and have booked days with Renée for amazing adventures.

I have three zones to explore when car-less in Kralendijk. The zone south of the south pier to the Plaza, the zone between the Town Pier and Harbor Village and the zone north of Harbor Village.

Yesterday, I saw two dangerous things in the water but luckily for me, they were both dead. A fisherman had discarded a shark head that settled on the sandy bottom near the beach. It provided a lovely buffet for many fish.

Then, I noticed a Scrawled Filefish having a bit of a bad day. It was lying on its side in the way that a lot of big fish lie when they are being cleaned….but there was nothing cleaning it that I could see. I know that Filefish usually travel in pairs, so I looked around for its partner. Sure enough, around twenty feet away, around two feet below the surface was the partner nibbling something.

I approached to get a better view. It was an Oboya! A real dead Bonaire Box Jelly being nommed by a Scrawled Filefish. It only had two of the four banded tentacles left on it. I kept my distance and checked around me to make sure that the liberated tentacles weren't floating nearby.

Time of day was 3:30pm ish. Cycle of the moon was full and it was February 6th near the dock of the Playa Lechi Residences.

I am not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that that is what it was. I feel lucky to have seen it knowing how rare they are. I'm mentioning it for that reason, not to panic anyone.

Anyway, I'm here until Saturday morning so if anyone is heading to Pasa Bon or Bistro de Paris and would like some company for conversation and cool pics and videos of my Humpback Whale Swimming trip to Tonga, send me a message!

Puppy from Montreal

Wow that is wicked cool about the Box Jelly, very rare indeed. About the shark's head no surprise but also depressing. Another example of even limited local fishing can sometimes be too much.

And about that first sentence, love is suppose to be for a lifetime and just because you see a few wrinkles is not sufficient reason to go looking elsewhere...
    And Jerry said, Keep it light, Keep it friendly. Post Like Jerry.

Default Ohboya!

That's a great story about the scrawled filefish and banded box jelly. I went looking for more info on the jelly and here's a quick read for anyone who wants more:

http://smithsonianscience.org/2011/0...box-jellyfish/

I, too, am amazed at all the beautiful fish that come to the discarded "parts" along the waterfront in town. I'm interested in hearing about more of your discoveries.

Regards...Patsy

This morning's snorkel was fantastic. An early start right after sunrise rewarded me with another rare specimen! Apparently, there has been a juvenile Manta Ray hanging out over the dropoff in town.

Mr. Manta paid me a visit this morning. I was just slowly finning along when a trick of the light and distortion in my mask made it look like a sawfish was coming toward me. It was the mandible flippy floppy thing on the Manta Ray. When it got closer and came into focus, I realized what it was and was amazed. Two small Remoras were attached to the bottom of it as it glided by at quite a clip. There was no way that I could catch up to it. I patiently waited and hoped that it would make another pass but it did not. Still, it was a lovely sighting.

Later, I headed over to my favourite little spot in front of the Venezuelan consulate and swam with a turtle for a bit. Then a Flying Gurnard amused me with its antics in the shallows. It would crawl across the sand tap-tap-tapping with its finger-like fins and then it would slurp up whatever it found. Very funny little fish to watch.

Ah, this place is so incredible. I wish everyone could know it as we Bonaire Talkers do! Then again, it would be a shame if it got spoiled. Horrible dilemma, isn't it?

For puppypundit: Your sightings in one day were four things I have never seen in Bonaire. I'm going where you go! I can't picture where the Venezuelan Consulate is, though. Thanks for sharing.

Regards...Patsy

Hmm, how to describe where…north of the water taxi dock, north of the little inlet from a river flowing into the sea, look for the white and blue building with a Venezuelan Flag in front of it. The spot is between a yellow building with three arches and the consulate. There are many little outcroppings of coral and tons of French Grunts. Always a large Trumpetfish or two…many different eels and a few Scorpionfish for the eagle-eyed snorkeler to find.

This is my special little spot. I have no idea if it has a name on the Bonaire site maps. I have even seen squid there and now a turtle! Wow. One day, I'd like to do a night snorkel there but it would be best to have a buddy. Maybe next trip!

To puppypundit: I'm writing all that down for the next trip. If we can't find your spot with those directions, we're idiots. Thanks...Patsy

Would love to see your Humpback Whale Swimming trip in Tonga but won't arrive in Bonaire until mid April. What an exotic destination! My boyfriend and I have stayed at Yachtclub Apts. and liked it - simple, but clean, affordable, and walking distance to snorkeling sites and downtown.