Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caracas, Venezuela day trip

Scuba Sheila is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Default Caracas, Venezuela day trip

We'll be there in February for 2 weeks and are thinking of a day trip (maybe overnight) to Caracas, Venezuela. Just wondering about transportation and general suggestions... or maybe not such a good idea?? This will be our 5th trip to Bonaire, and we'd thought we'd try something different if its feasible. Thanks!

Venezuela is beautiful in many parts of the country, and I have made a few trips over the years, however at this time I would not recommend a trip. Last I was there a minimum of a 24 hour stay was required and unless you are traveling with local friends who are familiar with the area and/or you are fluent in Spanish it is very difficult to navigate. And if you are a US citizen, not the most well liked and often targeted tourist.
    R.A.

Years ago I was thinking of such a trip to Venezuela but was talked out of by the travel agency, for safety reasons. Instead, in a couple occasions I took day trips to Curacao.

Gmichael is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Best check with US Dept. of State. Suggest you DO NOT go to Caracas..Enough said...

OK, I'll chime in without the absolute authority on this one, but would go to Curacao before the mainland. Assuming you are a US citizen, do you really want to support Venezuela and their, er, democracy? I don't even buy gas at Citgo stations anymore. Curacao is a world heritage site and is readily accessed by interisland airplane hops. Disclaimer: I did enjoy some Polar beers several weeks ago.

I wouldn`t recommend such a trip not even for a people I don`t like. OK, for a people I don`t like I would.

Overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire and "VINIBU" on Bonaire

Respectfully, if you are an American I think you'd be crazy to go to Venezuela. The only exception would be if your name is Joe Kennedy.
    "Life is good, And on Bonaire, It's even better!"

Owner of VINIBU

Default Even my brother-in-law, who is from Venezuela, does not take his family there

They meet family in Aruba, the States, etc.

I would caution you to go, I was there 20 years ago and then it was questionable.

My sister, who lived in Venezuela for 3 years, will not go back because of
    the crime and political "issues".

Would you consider Los Roques? (sp?) without having to go via Venezuela?

Hope you have a good trip to Bonaire, we are 35 days and counting!

Unless you have to go to the US embassy in Caracas, DO NOT even think about traveling there. My family had to travel there in June 2011, the scariest trip ever. When my husband asked the (pre-arranged from the US) cab driver for a sightseeing tour , he politely declined and said it was too dangerous for US tourists to be seen. That meant hours of sitting around in the airport for the flight back to Curacao, the cab driver called numerous times to make sure nobody was bothering our family. Uniforms do not mean anything, you can never be sure, who is the real "police". The US embassy website is full of warnings. If you still want to go, read that website. Unfortunately Bonaire US residents have to go there for certain paperwork (most is handled at the Consulate in Curacao).

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

It's to bad that it is to dangerous for US citizens to go to Venezuela.
    I once used the ferry to take my car to Venezuela and drove through the Andes mountains to Colombia and went back over the Llanos.
    People were very friendly and helpfull.
    Nature was amazing.
    It was a low cost way to escape the heat of the caribean.
    Times have changed......