Thread: Reasonable to kayak to Klein for snorkeling?

Default Reasonable to kayak to Klein for snorkeling?

Hi, my girlfriend and I are coming to Bonaire second week of January and are interested in doing some snorkeling at KB. We would like to visit the sites on the south side of the island but have heard that they are not really accessible from shore. True? How deep are the reefs on the south side?

I read somewhere that it is possible to kayak across. We are not pro's but pretty fit - is this a reasonable undertaking? If so, could we tie off to the buoys and go in from the kayak? Any recommendations about where to rent from?
    Any insight appreciated,
    Thanks

It's certainly a short enough distance to kayak, though I've never done it. Not sure if you can moor to the buoys or not. I would suggest booking a trip with Dee on the Woodwind. They'll take you to the best snorkeling spots near KB. I've used them each trip, and have always had a wonderful time and have always seen turtles. Dee takes you to the south side first, then you make 2 more stops up the west side towards the north. Can't recommend them enough, great people, and always a great trip.

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Friends of ours did it with their children last summer. They had no problems at all. You can tie off to the buoys

I was just on Klein this past Tuesday morning and saw five or six kayaks there by 11:00 a.m. The kayakers just pulled the boats up on the beach, they didn't use the moorings. The biggest issue I can imagine with kayaking to/from Klein is getting back, as you will be paddling into the wind and waves. We have really great winds right now...blowing between 15-20 knots with higher gusts. Great for windsurfing and kiting, maybe not so much fun for paddling.
    Cheers,
    Liz