Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest way to talk to the US for work

Default Cheapest way to talk to the US for work

My husband and I will be spending the month of February in Bonaire in a vacation house. We'll have internet and phone at the house, but we're looking for the least expensive way to call the US, since we'll have to work while we're away.

Does anyone know the least expensive callback service or calling card or a mobile phone solution for spending a LOT of time on the phone with the US? Like, 4 hours a day? A conference calling service with a number in the US would also be a good option.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Skype works for us while we are away. I leave my cell phone at home with a local number to call that is hooked into my computer, if you have call forwarding that is even better........ you can do conference calls and if you have a camera you can do face to face conference calls with two people I think......
    If this doesn't work for you get in contact with Michael from chatnbrowse and he will hook you up with what you need. info@chatnbrowse.com
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

bcwolfen Lurker

I bought myself a magic Jack to replace my home phone as we only use our cell's for local calling.
    All US and Canada calling is free no matter where you are.
    The New Magic Jack is $64.00 and includes the first year of service. It does not need a computer. It plugs into and outlet for power, a network cable into your router and a phone cord into a regular or cordless phone. If you don't have a router it can still plug into the USB port on a computer to use the computers wireless connection. I really like the fact that I can plug a phone into it and walk around the house with my cordless just like having regular phone.
    I have used my Magic Jack to call US and Canada numbers from a wireless connection on Bon and it sounded like I was on a regular phone.
    The only downside is it can not connect to 1-800 numbers, which never bothered me as I always just called the toll number for the company as it ends up being free anyway.
    For the $65.00 it may be worth getting one and testing it out at home. The other nice feature is you should be able to get a local number for your hometown so people can call you on Bonaire using that number.

Skype is the other option and works fairly well too. I'm just not sure of the rates to call a phone line with Skype if you are spending that much time on the phone.

If you have any questions please feel free to pm/email me.
    I'm not a reseller for MJ or anything, just a very happy consumer.
    I actually just bought a 2nd one for $64 and added the 5years of service for $99.00.
    So $165.00 for unlimited North America long distance for the next 6 years.
    That's less than our 1 month bill on our cell phones. LOL

Skype is free if you do skype to skype.. there are charges if one of the phones is not skype but they are reasonable... I do beleive the way I will set it up this year with a local number that connects to my skype that there will be no charges...... time will tell....I might be totally WRONG........ but then again I am not expecting a lot of calls on that number........

The Magic Jack sounds great I will have to look into that more.....as we no longer have a "HOUSE" phone.and rely on the cells all the time.......
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

bcwolfen Lurker

Freddie: If want some more info or what few 'issues' I have found with MJ fell free to PM me.
    I'd even be happy to give you a call after Xmas on it so you can hear the quality.
    You do need decent internet speeds for it to work or you get that tin can sound.
    But even the wireless we had in Bonaire was more than enough.

thanks Gerald I may take you up on that..... and I just told my kids about it as their triple play is about to expire and they already have the tv and the internet in place but not the telephone YET
    Freddie

Default Thanks for the suggestions

I should have mentioned that I'm looking for something that's not Skype. I use Skype at home, but I have VERY fast internet here in Seattle that I pay extra for. I was expecting my connection in Bonaire to be not quite as good, so I'm looking for an alternative on those times when Skype quality isn't sufficient. It's one thing to have a crappy phone line when chatting with friends, but another thing altogether when you're trying to have a conference call.

Have you looked at Skype?
    It's cheap and works great with an internet connection.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/home

randl is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Ooma is another alternative. You buy the Ooma unit for about $200 (Amazon, Costco) and bring it with you to Bonaire. It plugs into the cable router and the phone. Then it behaves as if the Bonaire phone is your home phone. All calls to the US are free whether you're in Bonaire, the US or anywhere else. There is no recurring fee (unless you opt for extra voicemail features or a second line). My son brought his unit to Bonaire in July and it was amazing. Call clarity was equivalent to US to US long distance.

Default Skype

Even with slower Internet we have no problem on Bonaire to use Skype.
    Only video phoning sometimes can be a little delayed but not as much that it is a problem.
    Brigitte - owner Coco Palm Garden