Thread: Please HELP get more DIRECT flights to Bonaiare

Lightbulb Please HELP get more DIRECT flights to Bonaiare

In the last few years it has become more and more difficult and expensive to GET to Bonaire. Arriving really late at night and leaving really early in the morning costs two days that would be better spent enjoying the island. I was happy to be notified by INSEL that they would have flights departing from Charlotte, but UNHAPPY to learn that we would still have to go through Curacao, arriving at 9:55 pm leaving at 7:55 am. I wrote to INSEL, trying to convince them that there would be plenty of business for them and greater customer satisfaction if they would offer DIRECT flights from Charlotte and Miami to Bonaire. INSEL replied that this option was not being considered at this time.
    I am asking that BONAIRE TALK readers encourage INSEL (or any other major airline) to offer DIRECT flights from Charlotte and Miami to Bonaire. If enough people who visit Bonaire on a regular basis would contact INSEL requesting this service and assuring INSEL that we can fill up at least one plane load on Saturday and Sunday mornings TO Bonaire and Saturday and Sunday afternoons FROM Bonaire then it’s a “win-win” for everybody. Maybe a little competition from INSEL would help lower the high fare cost of the few airlines currently offering direct flights.
    If you are reading this PLEASE start a writing campaign to INSEL. Please contact, call, email everyone you know who goes to Bonaire on a regular basis to do the same. If INSEL hears from enough of us maybe they will bypass Curacao and all the extra time that takes and fly DIRECTLY to Bonaire.

Couldn't hurt, might help.
    and Joe said, Far from the things of Man.

jkehnle is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Just a few easy, convenient flights a week direct to Bonaire from Miami, Atlanta, and/or Charlotte would be great. It would be even better if one or two of those flights were mid-week, so we could plan 7, 10, or 14 day trips. It seems to me that the logical airline would be Insel -- they could run a flight two or three days a week back and forth, and probably make some money.

I probably shouldn't kvetch. At least we can get there from the Cleveland area with just one layover, even if we do have the blind staggers when we arrive at 6:30 AM on the Houston/Newark redeye.

DeputyDan is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

You are in effect asking to change the dynamics of the island.
    Direct flights = more tourists = all that comes with more tourists.

Do you want Bonaire to become another St Marteen?

It is not likely that Bonaire would ever become anything like St Marteen or any other tourist island. There is really nothing to do on Bonaire if you do not dive. For other sun destination activities there are quite a few less expensive destinations with much better beaches, food and nightlife.

The cruise ship tourists must be really bored when they come to this island, unless they are snorkeling or diving.

American flies to Curacao daily from Miami with a flight arriving around 2:30 pm. You can connect to bonaire and still arrive early enough to enjoy the island. This is the route my wife and I have used our last few trips to Bonaire

Quote Originally Posted by oshendvr View Post
    American flies to Curacao daily from Miami with a flight arriving around 2:30 pm. You can connect to bonaire and still arrive early enough to enjoy the island. This is the route my wife and I have used our last few trips to Bonaire
    Same here.
    It's a bit of a secret routing in that it doesn't show up on most search engines due to the small CUR-BON airlines being ignored.
    This situation keeps the riff-raff out, so let's not advertise this routing too widely...
    Tom Schamp