Thread: Homecoming 2011 - Jambalaya

Default Homecoming 2011 - Jambalaya

So, after the success with the tailgate at my daughter's college last year (see potato salad recipe in Starches), she invited me to cook again (read: "pay for the food at our tailgate") for this years homecoming game.

This time the tailgate was a joint effort between the KA fraternity and the Chi O's. Because the KA's were involved in some campus incident involving homecoming signs they were ineligible to win the homecoming competitons (food drives, fund-raisers, etc.). So they resolved to win the party.

What to cook for a large crowd, number unknown?

Ah!! Inspiration from Hank, Sr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnKOV...yer_detailpage

Now, do I do crawfish pie? Nope, too hard, no crawfish available. File' gumbo? Nope, no soup to young ladies in sun dresses.

So, let's pole the pirogue down the bayou:

Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya
    2-3 lbs chicken cut into about 1” cubes. I bought chicken breasts because they were easier to deal with than whole chicken
    Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
    ½ cup oil
    2 cups finely chopped onion
    ½ cup chopped bell pepper
    1 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1 cup finely chopped green onions
    2 lbs smoked sausage, rendered and sliced ¼ inch thick
    3 cups rice
    8 cups chicken stock or water (I used Swanson’s instead of making it)
    1 tablespoon chopped garlic
    Salt and cayenne pepper to taste.

The above is for about 10-12 big servings. Multiply for the number you want. I made 6x and it was way plenty for a crowd of about 100 I’d guess.

I did the following the night before, and put it all in Ziplocs:

Season the chicken with some Tony’s and brown it in the oil. I put the chicken in Ziplocs and saved the resulting oil/liquid for use sautéing the vegetables tomorrow.

Split the sausage in half lengthways and put it in a 350 degree oven on wire racks, cut side down, to render, about 30-45 minutes. After it cooled I split the halves in half again, and sliced into ¼ inch pieces because I like small pieces that you can eat in one bite. Store in a Ziploc.

Chop all the vegetables and store in individual Ziplocs. Double bag the onions.

At the tailgate:
    Put the reserved oil/liquid + some more oil in the big pot. Heat it over as low a heat as you can manage with a big burner, medium heat if a regular burner.

Add the onions, bell pepper, parsley, and green onions and sauté until the onions are clear. Add the stock, sausage, chicken, garlic, salt, pepper, and rice.

At this point there is nothing raw left, so you can taste the liquid for salt and pepper. Cover and cook as low as you can until most of the liquid has cooked out.

You’ll need to stir pretty regularly so it won’t stick and scorch. When you start getting nervous about it burning (and almost all the liquid is gone) turn it off, cover and let it sit for 10-15 minutes so the rice will finish cooking. (If you're cooking a normal amount for normal people, just put the lid on and let it simmer until almost done without stirring very much.)

This whole operation took about an hour, I think. Keep it covered and it will stay hot a really long time.

And we definitely won the party. I asked my daughter why we had such a big crowd (a little fishing for a compliment here).

She said "Look around. If you have all the girls you'll have all the guys too."

well I know now whats for dinner tonight thanks gbf OK now a question from a northern gal..... Smoked sausage? what brand do you recomend??? and is that the same as Kielbasa???
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

Default Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning

Recipe By : Tony Chachere
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :
    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    26 ounces salt
    1 1/2 ounces black pepper -- ground
    2 ounces red pepper -- ground
    1 ounce garlic powder -- pure
    1 ounce chili powder
    1 ounce Monosodium glutamate -- (Accent)

Mix well and use like salt. When it’s salty enough, it’s seasoned to
    perfection. For barbeque and fried foods: Season food all over. Cook as
    usual.
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

I use Polk's Smoked Sausage ("Picky People Pick Polk's"), but that is probably a local thing.

We have a bunch of different brands in our Kroger. Country Pleasing (also local), Hillshire Farms, and Armour come to mind.

I think kielbasa is a polish thing, but I bet it would be good in jambalaya or gumbo.

You're right on the money with Tony's. I usually make my own a little saltier and pepper-ier than Tony's, but Tony's is the easy way...

edit: I didn't recommend, but I've used all of them (except kielbasa) and they're all fine.

maybe it Is just a neighbood thing but we GO UPSTREET and get Hillshire smoked Kielbasa/Smoked Sausage same thing.. thanks
    Freddie

I guess "go upstreet" is the same as "passing Kroger and making groceries"?

Thats IT
    Freddie