Thread: Pink beach or 1000 steps for snorekling

Default Pink beach or 1000 steps for snorekling

HI Between Pink beach and 1000 steps which of these two is better for snorkelling and which ones would be best for shallow snorkelling. I am with nervous swimmers and someone with limited vision. Also are their any washrooms set up at either of these places.

There are absolutely no facilities at 1000 Steps. The entry is easy (especially going down all those steps), though the reef is a bit deep for good snorkeling. If you like looking at fish 20 ft below you, you will enjoy here. Otherwise, pick another site. I have only been to Pink Beach once a good time ago, so others might comment here. The southern sites tend to have better clumps of coral in the shallows, so this might be your best bet.

jkehnle is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

My wife, a still strong swimmer at age 63, has had several fine snorkels over the years at Pink Beach. She is uncomfortable with the currents at 1000 Steps.

I, who snorkel either in chest deep water only or with a flotation device, enjoyed Pink Beach as well -- saw some interesting things, including an octopus.

Either place, hard-soled rubber diving shoes, or aqua socks, or whatever they are called, are recommended -- probably mandatory.

Restrooms/sanitary facilities are few and far between...unless you're not particularly modest!

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

You might consider Plaza for easy entrance, shallow snorkeling and washrooms.
    The beach at Wannadive is also an option. Entrance/exit via stairs, shalow snorkling, showers and bathroom

Thanks! Sounds like the other people who are with us want us to do the ship excursion at Bonaire marine park. Can anyone tell me whats its like there?

Agree with Smits on the Plaza for easy snorkeling. Highly recommend it.

I would add the comment that 1000 Steps has good coral cover and few fish compared to Pink Beach. More interesting fish life anywhere south of Town.

You say, '...the ship excursion at Bonaire marine park.' That is confusing to someone who knows Bonaire: the BMP is defined at it's website (<http://www.bmp.org/>) as : 'The Bonaire National Marine Park was established in 1979. The Park starts at the high water mark and extends to 200 ft (60 meters) of depth; it covers an area of 6672 acres, or 27 kmē.' - around the entire circumference of Bonaire and Klein Bonaire. I suggest you root around at the website and then ask your tour planners for a bit more detail on that excursion. I am sure that you will enjoy whatever they are up to!