Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diving the park

Thanks for all the input. I was in fact talking about checking out some of the dive sites out of Washington Slagbaai National Park, and combining that with some time on one of the little sandy "almost beaches".

The beach toward the end-Slagbaai (sp?) has a nice little beach. The diving there is very easy and relaxing. Several trees with shade too. This is the one with the little shop and expensive snacks :-) Take your own!

I really enjoyed the dives in the park. Some of the entries were a little more involved/challenging than the ones outside the park but they were fun to do. The road is rough but you just take it reasonably slow and you won't damage the truck. It's not as bad as people say. I plan to go back on our next trip in a few months.
    Irene
    Yes I live in Alaska. Yes I dive here all year round. Yes it's cold.

In case anyone else is after the same plan: All the dive sites are pretty well strung along the road, no issue just stopping wherever and getting in!

We dove Boca Bartol first. This was a great dive, although a comparatively long swim out. The channel is pretty neat however, nice reef on the side. Strong current, not however unmanageable, and made for a nice drive back. We saw about 5 sting rays, which was great, even a large one swimming over the reef.

For the next dive we hit Wayaca II which had a nice beach for relaxing and swimming. This dive was also quite good, nice reef, lots of life, including the Bonarian Box Jelly. This would be a great place to bring non divers.

We then stopped for some delicious goat stew at the restaurant, well worth it.

Definitely a recommended day trip!

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

If you go to Slagbaai to dive, be sure to bring snacks for the iguanas. At every site, as you are changing tanks or having a little lunch/surface interval, you will have plenty of time to play with them. They really like grapes and chunks of apple. If you are daring, you can hold a grape at your waist and some of the iguanas will climb your leg to get the grape ... best done with your wetsuit still on !!
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32