Thread: Can anyone ID this fish?

1. Default Can anyone ID this fish?

See the attached photo. I spotted it in Sorobon, inside the barrier, in about 2 metres of water. I think it was about 100 cm long, but I'm not sure.

Many thanks!
    Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Has a nose like a porgy of some sort.

3. Default

I never thought of that. I can see where you're going.

This was a huge fish though. I never saw all of it because it stayed hidden under the ledge.

The thick lips and the colouring are throwing me off.

I'm putting my vote on a snapper of some sort. They have a bunch of color phases, which would explain the coloration.

DS

I just got out my ruler and figured out 100 cm. That's a big fish!
    Snappers get that big and some have those lips. In Humann's Reef Fish Identification, the closest picture is a Cubera Snapper but that's a deep water fish.
    Maybe a long, thin, rather lost, Cubera snapper?

Gotta go with a Cubera Snapper.

Different lighting and angle, also the first fish was resting with his fins down.
    and Joe said, Far from the things of Man.

7. Default

Thanks everyone. I sorta suspected it was a Cubera Snapper but I was really doubting myself. Never seen a snapper this big before and it doesn't quite fit the photo in my guide. (Where are the bands, for example?)

What a monster to come across while snorkelling! I also saw a nurse shark on the same trip -- also resting under a ledge. It seems many of these large creatures hang out in the shallows behind the barrier at Lac Cai. But this snapper wasn't near the barrier, it was in one of the farthest bommies away from the barrier actually.

Greg

Humann/DeLoach describe the Cubera snapper as "Often no distinguishing features; identification can be by process of elimination, " and "Occasionally have pale bars on back." So the bands aren't necessarily there. It was the deep water part that made me wonder. But that's got to be it.
    What a cool sighting!

Default Definitely a Cubera Snapper

Cubera snapper - very shallow for him...