Thread: Quick note on an interesting find

Default Quick note on an interesting find

We just got back from two weeks on Bonaire and while a full report will have to wait a little while I wanted to mention a find that I, at least, found unusual and interesting.

On our last dive at at Windsock I found a Harlequin pipefish. Here's a picture of one taken by Ellen Muller: http://www.pbase.com/imagine/image/62299685/medium
    It was about 3-4 inches long and was buried within a coral head. The DeLoach/Humann book shows these as rare in Caribbean waters.

DrDirector is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Ellen is a super photographer (both underwater and above water) and she and her husband, Erwin, are both super people. It is an absolute pleasure knowing both of them and visiting them whenever we are on Bonaire. And for those who dove with Erwin at Toucan Dive (Plaza Resort), please look him and Ellen up the next time you are on Bonaire. Contact Ellen via a private message through BT. Both she and Erwin would appreciate it. Thanks.

M

PS - I have a photo of a Harlequin Pipefish that I took at Rockpile in 2005, but is nowhere near the quality of Ellen's photo. Would never even consider posting it here.
    Last edited by DrDirector; 08-06-2011 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Addition to original post

Great find and Ellen is a great photographer, the last pipefish I saw was yaers ago at Mi Dushi.
    Brian Lowe

That's great to hear, I'm just about to go to Bonaire for the first time and was wondering whether there might be any Harlequins about - I used to see them all the time when I was working in Utila, Honduras but I haven't dived in the Caribbean for a few years - very excited to be coming back!

Harlequin pipefish (poor photo), chestnut moray and goldentail moray all in the same coral head on Bari Reef 2 Januarys ago.

Nice find!
    We found a Harlequin pipefish at Ole Blue (tolo) on our last dive in march 2007. It was buried deep in coral head.
    Good to hear others are finding them. Took blurry photo of it. On the order of UFO photo as they are all blurry. would also not post here.

Lakewood, Washington - the cold, green waters of the Pacific Northwest!

Very nice!

We found one two years ago, and also noted their "rare" status in Deloach/Humann. Congrats on a fun find!

Superb photo. I found one last September during my buoyancy check-out dive in front of Wannadive. It was one of those great "welcome to Bonaire" moments.

Ooo - nice pic! Have only ever seen one of these once (Cayman); in a tricky position to photograph ........

JimMc is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Ellen, you are so good girl!!! Wow.
    Pachi Jim