Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Update on the Poached Parrots

Exclamation Update on the Poached Parrots

I visited twice this week, once to do a photo shoot and story and today to feed for 3 hours. Phoebe Greene Linden, MA is overseeing the nursery Dr. Sam Williams (www.echobonaire.org) is overall in charge of this humane rescue effort. It's a sight to behold.

At this time no more food is needed. Those bringing down food will finalize that request. 35 cc plastic syringes are desperately needed. The ones in stock are old now and very hard to plunge thus creating a very arduous painful 3 hour feeding for the volunteers. Please contact me for details on what Echo needs. I posted a photo on my blog and my Facebook page.

This is a VERY worthwhile effort. ECHO needs your help so if you can donate, please do: www.echobonaire.org

Overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire and "VINIBU" on Bonaire

Quote Originally Posted by phelana View Post
    At this time no more food is needed. Those bringing down food will finalize that request.
    Hi Annie.. We're leaving on the Fri red eye & have about a kilo of the stuff. I assume you still want us to take it down?
    "Life is good, And on Bonaire, It's even better!"

Owner of VINIBU

Exclamation

Yes Vince..your delivery is very much needed but no shipment to AMCAR is needed as it will arrive in two weeks when the babies will be on to the next type of food. MUCH appreciation Vince.

Overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire and "VINIBU" on Bonaire

Oakie Doakie
    "Life is good, And on Bonaire, It's even better!"

Owner of VINIBU

We are also coming down on the Friday red eye and had planned to bring about a kilo down as well. I am having trouble locating it in my area (seems to be sold out for some reason) but am going to try a Wild Birds store tomorrow. Based on this posting, is the food still needed?

Denise, no if you have not bought any, don't. Can you locate easily the syringes on my blog? Or I can email you a photo. They are 35 cc plastic plunger type with a plastic tip easy to feed...the old ones we are using are hard to plunge and after 3-6 hours of feeding a few volunteers are suffering carpal tunnel type complaints. My wrist is still sore from Sunday's 3 hour feeding so can only imagine how the others feel...

I haven't bought the food yet so I won't but I have been calling around to find the syringes. They are available on Amazon but cannot arrive before we leave. I found a feed store that has about 20 of them so I will for sure get those. I'm not sure how many you need but if I can locate more before I leave, I will. Where do I take them once we get there?

Denise

Default parrot situation

Who was the jerk that tried smuggling these parrots out of Bonaire?
    It is hard to believe knowing how many parrots (or at least the lucky ones) end up at rescues that there is (still) a "market" for wild caught birds.
    It makes me sick.
    I will be heading down to Bonaire in the fall. Where or who do I contact to see if help is still needed by the time I get down there?
    I have hand-raised cockatiels.

Talking

Atlantis, please contact Dr. Sam Williams at www.echobonaire.org

I love Sid..he is the smallest Lora. All the bigger guys circle him to protect him and keep him safe and warm..it is endearing..I left him today a happy boy after Phoebe fed him..he is a lovey boy as all the furkids are...a great effort..

Default parrots

I did email echobonaire.org but I have not got a response , yet.
    I am assuming they are straight out busy caring for all those birds.
    I do hope to help out when I get to Bonaire in the fall. I do have experience in hand-feeding baby cockatiels.
    I used to see those yellow -fronted amazons in Belnam in the early morning in the hibiscus trees until the contractors tore the trees down to make way for new vacation homes.