Thread: Zucchini recipes please!

Default Zucchini recipes please!

I need some help - I have a lot of zucchini coming my way - aside from baked goods - any recipes for preserving/freezing the harvest would be much appreciated . Thank-you in advance!!

Quote Originally Posted by EKimmett View Post
    I need some help - I have a lot of zucchini coming my way - aside from baked goods - any recipes for preserving/freezing the harvest would be much appreciated . Thank-you in advance!!
    Here's one that I have used. Courgettes (aka zucchini) are great for pickles & relish.

Spiced Courgette Chutney

Ingredients
    • 2 onions chopped
    • 500g tomatoes chopped
    • 500g courgettes, diced
    • 300ml white wine vinegar
    • 2 crisp sharp apples peeled and diced
    • 250g brown sugar
    • 2 tsp mixed spice
    • 1 tbsp mustard seeds
    • thumb-sized piece root ginger, grated
    • 4 garlic cloves, crushed
    Method:

1. Put all the ingredients in a large pan. Bring slowly to a simmer, stirring to stop the mixture sticking.
    2. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours until dark, thick and chutney-like. Pour into sterilised jars and leave for 2-3 weeks before eating.
    Doesn't get much easier than that! If you like things a bit more spicy, add some fresh chillies
    My names still Antony without the 'H'

Grate it. Put in freezer bags. Use in vegetable soup all winter. The grated zucchini gives nice body to a pot of soup.

Thank-you! I will freeze and the chutney will be great- my inlaws love chutney!

Default zucchini in wine sauce

cut zucchini in slices , cover with burgundy wine,cook until soft about 20 minutes.

also to freeze zucchini - I just cut it in chunks and put in a zip lock
    bag and pull some out to use in cooking.

Default zucchini salsa

2 tomatoes ,peeled and chopped
    1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
    2 banana peppers '' '' ''
    1 jalapeno pepper " " "
    1 small zucchini chopped
    1 tsp. olive oil
    1 tsp.vinegar
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. oregano
    1/2 tsp. cumin
    1/4 tsp. garlic
    Mix all ingredients and let stand for flavors to blend

Yum!! I will have to use the salsa too! My zucchini plants look like something put of the Day of the Triffids!!

OK here is a new one

adapted from Cooking classy My additions or substitutions are underlined and bold .

with Pasta 328 calories per serving...

with Zucchini 165 calories per serving

Caprese Lasagna Roll Ups

Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients
    8 lasagna noodles, uncooked OR 8 Ribbons of Zucchini
    14 oz freshly shredded, low-moisture part skim Mozzarella cheese, divided
    3/4 cup Ricotta cheese I used the low/fat Ricotta
    1 large egg white
    1/3 cup freshly, finely shredded Parmesan cheese (about 1 1/4 oz)
    freshly ground black pepper
    3 - 4 medium Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced (about 1/6 inch thick slices) I could not find Roma so used the vine ripened Tomatoes
    1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
    1 cup marinara sauce, recipe follows OR I used a chunky basil sauce from the store

Simple Marinara Sauce
    2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
    2 cloves garlic finely minced
    1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
    salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta according to directions listed on package to al dente. Drain pasta (DO NOT rinse with water) and align lasagna noodles in a single layer on a large sheet of parchment or wax paper.

When using Zucchini in stead of pasta, cut bendable ribbons of zucchini , so they would be on the thin side.. a manadolin works great for this.. no need to pre cook..

For filling, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together ricotta cheese and egg white until well blended. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Mix in 12 oz. of the Mozzarella cheese and season with black pepper to taste (I wouldn't recommend seasoning with salt just because the cheeses already have plenty of salt).

Place 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture over each lasagna noodle OR Zucchini Ribbon and spread into an even layer, going from one end of the lasagna/Zucchini to the other. Align 4 thin tomato slices over cheese mixture then sprinkle fresh basil over top. Snugly roll " noodles" to opposite end. Spread about 1/4 cup pasta sauce in the bottom of an 11 x 7 inch baking dish. Align lasagna/Zucchini roll ups, seam side down in dish. Top each roll up with about 2 Tbsp of the pasta sauce (covering edges of pasta so they don't dry out while baking). Sprinkle top with remaining 2 oz. shredded Mozzarella. Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes. Remove from oven, plate pasta and garnish with plenty of basil ribbons. Serve warm.

Simple Marinara Sauce
    Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add onions to hot oil and saute about 3 minutes until soft, adding garlic during last minute of sauteing. Pour in crushed tomatoes and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture just to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and allow sauce to cook for about 25 - 30 minutes (which will allow some of the water in crushed tomatoes to evaporate) while you prepare pasta and lasagna filling (you can freeze or refrigerate left over sauce in a small airtight container for later use, adding fresh basil if desired).
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

Cut zucchini into 1/4" rounds. Grind some fresh Parmesan. Heat about 1/8" oil in a skillet. Lay zucchini rounds in and brown. Flip. Sprinkle parm on each round. Cook until zucchini is brown on other side. Drain and serve.
    Brad Ford

From the Sacramento Bee of 8/7/2013 http://www.sacbee.com/2013/08/07/562...ngrecipes.html