Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Poppy

Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

ahhhhhh just found this this is for the Rental car insurance that you do not pay a small fee for..

•The Plan covers theft of or damage to most rental vehicles.
    •You must use your American Express Card to reserve and pay for the entire auto rental.
    •You must decline the Full Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) or similar option or pay for a partial collision damage waiver, offered by the Commercial Car Rental Company.
    •The Cardmember must be the primary renter.
    •You must list additional drivers on the rental contract.
    •Coverage applies for vehicles rented up to 30 days from a Car Rental Company.
    •Coverage is excess or secondary to all other insurance policies.
    •Coverage is for eligible vehicles valued up to $75,000.
    •There is no coverage for any type of pick-up truck, full sized SUV, luxury van, any exotic sports car and any type of cargo van, truck or U-haul type vehicle.
    •Coverage is worldwide, except for vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica and New Zealand.
    •There is no coverage for damage to any vehicle other than the Rental Auto or for injury to any person (i.e., liability coverage).
    •Loss of use charges are covered for accidents, which occur on or after May 1st, 2006 when properly supported by the Rental Company.
    •Coverage is provided for Excess Medical Expenses, Accidental Death and Dismemberment and Excess Personal Property if you decline the Personal Accident Insurance and Personal Effects (Baggage) coverage and similar options offered by the Rental Company.

again this is the platium card.....
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

so my take on this is..... if you have the premium rental insurance you and your car are covered.... even if it is a pickup truck..

HOWEVER>> it doesn't look like passengerss in any other car that you might tangle with are covered..... perhaps that is a separate fee.... will have to look.
    Freddie

I thinks its account dependant Freddie, when I logged in I got a completely different screen than the one you did.
    So my best advice is call and ask specific questions and print the details out and read then carefully. AMEX is rather secretive about certain cards and benefits and some cards carry benefits others don't. The personal v. business cards vary in benefits as well. Oy! all this legalese is giving me a headache! LOL
    R.A.

oh yes I forgot to mention this is a business card......... thanks RA sage advice from you as always
    Freddie

Quote Originally Posted by RosAnne View Post
    Vino,here is the information from my AMEX re: rental car insurance.

CAR RENTAL BENEFITS THEFT, DAMAGE AND LIABILITY
    YOUR BENEFITS
    1) These benefits only apply where the rental company allows
    You to decline the purchase
    of additional or optional insurances from the rental company.
    2) These benefits will apply while on a
    Trip, for all drivers, up to a maximum of 5, named
    on
    Your rental agreement. Benefits only apply where the rental company allows You to
    decline the purchase of additional or optional insurances from the rental company.
    3) If
    Your rental vehicle is stolen or damaged, the Insurer will pay any amounts You are
    responsible for under the rental agreement, including the excess. This will apply whether
    or not
    You are responsible for the accident. You will be paid no more than the value of
    the rental vehicle up to US$/
    ��75,000 in respect of any one accident or occurrence.
    4) Following an accident involving
    Your rental vehicle, the Insurer will appoint a lawyer
    to control and be responsible for all legal proceedings.
    5) If
    You are found legally liable for injuring another person or damaging their property,
    the
    Insurer will pay any related compensation and legal costs up to US$/��750,000 (or
    US$1,000,000 in the USA) arising directly or indirectly from one cause.
    6) As a result of this benefit
    You do not need to purchase additional or optional insurances

from the rental company which include:
    Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)
    Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)
    Removal/reduction of excess (Super CDW/LDW)
    Theft Protection (TP)
    Top Up/Supplemental Liability (SLI)
    Personal Accident (PA) (See Personal Accident benefit, Page 26)

That's the same language as mine. It doesn't matter which card you have as long as you are enrolled in the Premium Rental coverage.
    Irene
    Yes I live in Alaska. Yes I dive here all year round. Yes it's cold.

Alaskadiver, you stated that this is the same verbage on your Premium Policy but what you previously posted is very different than this so...I called AMEX Centurion Customer service to see exactly which of my cards had what benefits.
    The statement of insurance is for all Centurion card holders and for SOME Platinum card holders. I was told they have criteria as to determine who has what benefits and it may vary from account to account! I am not charged a fee for this coverage on my Cenrurion card which differs from the platinum card. They would not divulge exactly what the criteria was. I have been a card holder for a very long time (almost 30 years!) so she did say their are rewards for loyalty. So, the mystery is still not clearly solved but we are getting closer...(geez, you'd think I'd have something better to do but honestly, today I didn't feel like doing anything so this was a little fun diversion for me)
    R.A.

I post the blurb from the summary page. The detailed policy has more information.
    Irene
    Yes I live in Alaska. Yes I dive here all year round. Yes it's cold.

I just pulled my policy and re-checked it....it says there is no liability coverage, I did speak to a supervisor at AMEX today who said coverage can vary on the same card, depending on when it was issued and as RosAnne mentioned they consider the longevity of the card holders account.
    Since I've only had my card for several months, I can understand why I would be offered the additional coverage.
    In my case I plan to take out the CDW with the rental car agency to avoid the headaches...a small price to pay for peace of mind.

I believe most AMEX users are planning on an Umbrella Policy covering their liability for other than the vehicle itself.