Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Poppy

Quote Originally Posted by RosAnne View Post
    There is the standard one that is applied when you rent given you reserve and pay for the rental with your AMEX platinum, they do have, for a fee an added insurance that is invoked each time you rent a vehilce that does cover liabilty and personal injusy to passengers of the other vehicle.
    I would be interested to see a copy of that policy, since AMEX told me none of their policies cover liability and third parties.

Here is an excerpt form AMEX (this is the Premium coverage which costs 24.95 each time I rent using my AMEX Platinum):

Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance does not cover, and benefits will not be paid for:
    1. sales tax related to repair of damages, unless reimbursement of such sales tax is required by law;
    2. damage to any vehicle other than the Rental Auto;
    3. damage to any property other than the Rental Auto, owner’s property, or items not permanently attached to the Rental Auto;
    4. the Injury of anyone or anything;

In speaking to my personal auto insurance agent (Nationwide) they told me my coverage would not extend outside the US.

And since the rental companies on Bonaire don't offer that coverage unless you also purchase their CDW.

My question remains: what are renters using their AMEX coverage doing for liability coverage? or is everyone taking a chance it won't happen to them? or have they been assuming they were covered?

Also of note...

I checked Visa's CDW policy (free with my card) and it extends to foreign (out of US) locations, BUT it DOES NOT cover pickup trucks.

Buyer/renter beware.

Quote Originally Posted by Vino View Post
    I would be interested to see a copy of that policy, since AMEX told me none of their policies cover liability and third parties.

Here is an excerpt form AMEX (this is the Premium coverage which costs 24.95 each time I rent using my AMEX Platinum):

Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance does not cover, and benefits will not be paid for:
    1. sales tax related to repair of damages, unless reimbursement of such sales tax is required by law;
    2. damage to any vehicle other than the Rental Auto;
    3. damage to any property other than the Rental Auto, owner’s property, or items not permanently attached to the Rental Auto;
    4. the Injury of anyone or anything;

In speaking to my personal auto insurance agent (Nationwide) they told me my coverage would not extend outside the US.

And since the rental companies on Bonaire don't offer that coverage unless you also purchase their CDW.

My question remains: what are renters using their AMEX coverage doing for liability coverage? or is everyone taking a chance it won't happen to them? or have they been assuming they were covered?

I think you may be right that we all assumed we were covered. Based on the part that posted I assumed that meant any damage. I signed up for the Premium coverage because I thought it covered everything. This is the only coverage that I used last visit to the island. Not exactly a high risk place to drive, but still. Thanks for bringing this up.
    Irene
    Yes I live in Alaska. Yes I dive here all year round. Yes it's cold.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterDoc View Post
    Also of note...

I checked Visa's CDW policy (free with my card) and it extends to foreign (out of US) locations, BUT it DOES NOT cover pickup trucks.

Buyer/renter beware.
    That's correct. Visa and MC (nor does any trip insurance I've yet to find) do not cover trucks. That is why we all refer to the AMEX card. That's the only one that does.
    Irene
    Yes I live in Alaska. Yes I dive here all year round. Yes it's cold.

Vino,here is the information from my AMEX re: rental car insurance.

CAR RENTAL BENEFITS – THEFT, DAMAGE AND LIABILITY
    YOUR BENEFITS
    1) These benefits only apply where the rental company allows
    You to decline the purchase
    of additional or optional insurances from the rental company.
    2) These benefits will apply while on a
    Trip, for all drivers, up to a maximum of 5, named
    on
    Your rental agreement. Benefits only apply where the rental company allows You to
    decline the purchase of additional or optional insurances from the rental company.
    3) If
    Your rental vehicle is stolen or damaged, the Insurer will pay any amounts You are
    responsible for under the rental agreement, including the excess. This will apply whether
    or not
    You are responsible for the accident. You will be paid no more than the value of
    the rental vehicle up to US$/
    ��75,000 in respect of any one accident or occurrence.
    4) Following an accident involving
    Your rental vehicle, the Insurer will appoint a lawyer
    to control and be responsible for all legal proceedings.
    5) If
    You are found legally liable for injuring another person or damaging their property,
    the
    Insurer will pay any related compensation and legal costs up to US$/��750,000 (or
    US$1,000,000 in the USA) arising directly or indirectly from one cause.
    6) As a result of this benefit
    You do not need to purchase additional or optional insurances

from the rental company which include:
    Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)
    Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)
    Removal/reduction of excess (Super CDW/LDW)
    Theft Protection (TP)
    Top Up/Supplemental Liability (SLI)
    Personal Accident (PA) (See Personal Accident benefit, Page 26)

R.A.

@RosAnne, would you mind me asking what type AMEX card you have?

Thanks,
    Vino

Vino, I have the Centurion card but I belive this was also the info from my Platinum. This is the info I got when I logged into my account and pulled up the benefits section for my account.
    R.A.

when G comes home I will see what lowly coverage we have ...!!!
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

Now I am curious and am going to check my Mastercard because I thought it was the same coverage....Funny what you discover when you read the small print!
    R.A.

this is with a platium card:

Key Features
    One flat price of $24.95 per rental period, not per day ($17.95 for California Residents).
    Coverage is primary. You won't have to file a claim with your personal insurance company and risk having your premiums increase.
    There are no deductibles.
    There is no cost to enroll and you will only be billed a premium when you use your enrolled Card to rent a car until your enrollment is terminated.
    Coverage (for you and your passengers)
    Up to $100,000 of primary coverage for damage or theft of a Rental Car.
    Up to $100,000 of Accidental Death or Dismemberment coverage.
    Up to $15,000 for excess medical expenses.
    Protection
    Coverage is worldwide, except for vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, and New Zealand.
    Coverage is for up to 42 consecutive days (up to 30 consecutive days for Washington State Cardmembers) and automatically extends to your other noncorporate American Express® Card accounts.
    Covers most vehicles typically available from a Rental Company.
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.