Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recycling?? NOT!!!

Carole is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Angry Recycling?? NOT!!!

Sean Paton & Hendrik Wuyts have produced a video clip of items being BURNED rather than properly recycled. It just seems to never end...thank you both for keeping us apprised as to the events occurring on Bonaire....Ayo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=AGUKtrPFT7o
    May Peace be with you, Always...

Quote Originally Posted by Carole View Post
    Sean Paton & Hendrik Wuyts have produced a video clip of items being BURNED rather than properly recycled. It just seems to never end...thank you both for keeping us apprised as to the events occurring on Bonaire....Ayo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=AGUKtrPFT7o
    Sad Carole but not surprising.

There is no way that a small island with such a limited infrastructure can handle the huge increase in tourism & development.

Just about every other Caribbean island has been trashed in the pursuit of the tourist Dollar & Bonaire had the opportunity to learn from the mistakes made by others. The local Government should have sat around a table 10 years ago with the Dutch Government, environmentalists & residents to thrash out an ongoing plan of how to make sure that infrastructure was in place BEFORE allowing tourism numbers to rise & development to expand.

Development could have been done in limited parcels with strict regulations on materials used, building design & how they manage their own waste & produce power.

Cruise Ship tourism should have been expanded in increments of the same period of time. Public facilities should have been in place (toilets etc) & a fee per head in place that would cover the cost of maintaining the environment. There should not be any cruise ships that exceed 2500 capacity & there should never be more than one cruise ship a day.

All of these should have been monitored by an independent source & at any time that it looked like expansion was likely to bypass the islands capacity to cope, a freeze could be imposed until the balance could be addressed.

I personally believe that Bonaire has already reached the point of no return & within 10 years it will be hardly recognisable. I can't begin to express how sad that makes me.
    My names still Antony without the 'H'

Gmichael is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Please give us some credit for being able to run our own island. The fire dept was present and was in control of the situation. The fire was set not planned! I spoke with Governor pro temp Peter Siberie yesterday and there is a full investigation of who or what started the blaze. PLEASE! Get your facts straight before rushing to judgement!!!

right on Micheal!!!! I too am VERY weary of the criticism offered by those who really have little to no intimate knowlege of how it works here , the culture and protocol. Instead of critism and proposals for the welfare of Bonaire that are often not realistic or was possible within the past political structure. save if for when you are on island and then involve yourself personally in the island affairs.Learn first hand how it works. Give credit to what has been accomplished and stop beating the dead horse. Also, I do not wish to be attacked for this personal opinion. if you have something positive to say .. then contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmichael View Post
    Please give us some credit for being able to run our own island. The fire dept was present and was in control of the situation. The fire was set not planned! I spoke with Governor pro temp Peter Siberie yesterday and there is a full investigation of who or what started the blaze. PLEASE! Get your facts straight before rushing to judgement!!!
    Michael.

Don't shoot the messenger, Carole was only posting a link.

What Sean (who is of course a local) is labouring to say is that despite numerous promises regarding recycling, it isn't happening. All ozone-depleting substances, including CFC’s, must be removed from them before they are scrapped. This includes the ODS in the cooling system of the appliance and the insulating foam inside the walls and door.

If this isn't being done by those who dispose of the units, it is the responsibility for someone at Selibon to make sure it is done straight away once it is their responsibility. Some of those units have been there for months, maybe years just waiting for some idiot to set fire to them.

I have been on landfill many times Michael as I am sure you have. There are batteries, microwaves, toxic electronic equipment, a/c units, fridges, freezers & hazardous liquids everywhere. While it is true that people might be dumping things illegally, Selibon either have to put a man back on the entrance to stop people doing so or employ people to ensure that basic regulations that govern the disposal of these items are met. As they run the facility, they are at least vicariously liable if not directly so.

As far as the fire department being present, why was it still burning 24hrs later & why were they initially refusing to attend?

If this sort of thing happened in Europe or the US, Selibon would hammered in court.

I know that as a local it is infuriating when outsiders put in their 2 cents but is usually with the best intentions. Sometimes Michael, it is easier to see things when looking in from outside.

Gmichael is offline Bonaire Lover Bonaire Talker

Carole is my dearest friend as is Sean. I was blowing steam in general. I am i;n a very inique spot in that I do know many of the folks who are in charge of various areaa.n 25 years ag I joinded as charter member of Keep Bonaire Clean. One of our major goals was recycling

enforcement is the KEY problem here.. I am sure if we check the "books" Bonaire has many laws .. but they simply are not enforced. Recently the no dogs on the beaches was initiated but nothing has changed .. and after investigation.. finding the body responsible for enforcement as become my mission impossible.. perhaps things will change with the new "regime" one can only hope .. right now there are so many issues to be addressed that are urgent .. the double taxing on imports has most of the population with out sufficient funds to survive and to pay for their most basic needs, the construction industry has collapsed as a result of one enforcement .. no more rock etc. can be harvested on bonaire and importing is so costly n one can afford the materials .. so as you see.. one tiny island has many issues to reso;ve ..

Michael & Petri.

I think that everyone knows how passionate you both are about Bonaire & its preservation. It is not for the lack of effort from people like yourselves that things are going pear-shaped.

Petri is spot on when he talks about failures in implementation & accountability. Politicians & officials are very good at paying lip service to the electorate to keep them in office but once they are power, they are not so easy to pin down.

I have not lived on Bonaire for 4 years now but it was always envisaged that my wife & I would return within the next 2 years. Now, I am doubtful. I speak to many people who live on the island every week. Most of them are not wealthy businessmen or developers, they are ordinary people doing ordinary jobs for little money. They can hardly afford to pay their utilities & shop prices are rising all of the time. Those that stay love the island and are willing to tighten their belts a little for the privilege of living on Bonaire.

In addition, most of these people contribute to the island in the way that you do & are becoming equally disenchanted with how things are going. The island has become busier, noisier, smellier, dirtier & more polluted. It has declined more in the last ten years than in the previous fifty.

The big problem with environmental issues worldwide is that there is no money in it. Politicians hold office for a very short time & that job is an opportunity to make money. Stopping motorists for having no licence tags is an easy way to generate money, stopping impoverished locals from letting their dogs foul the beach is not.

The powers-that-be care little about the reef or the water quality, they are all looking ten years ahead. They already know that it is not economically viable to reverse the tide of pollution & waste & that is why cruise ship tourism has escalated at such an alarming rate in just a few years. Mass package tourism is the easy way forward.

Only the Dutch Government has the power & the money to take the brave route & turn Bonaire into an eco-resort but they are unlikely to provide the funds to do so. Many Dutch people in the Netherlands don't want the Antilles (Dutch Caribbean). They see it as an unnecessary expense that allows Antilleans to come to Holland and claim welfare. They regard Antilleans to be thieves & scroungers & that islands like Bonaire are a millstone that they are shackled to as a result of reperation for slavery. In the event that Geert Wilders or his like ever gained power in The Netherlands, he would drop the Antilles like a hot brick directly into the hands of Chavez. He has said as much.

All power to the likes of yourselves & Sean who try, and will continue to try to make positive changes but I fear that you are a dying breed. From what I hear, the new generation of Dutch that have descended on the island following the new status are primarily interested in making money at any cost.

I really hope that I am proven wrong....
    Last edited by itsamugsgame; 07-10-2011 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Error

NO, you are right on unfortunate as it is .. the"new dutch" have decended and many of them display the attitude toward the locals as you describe making for a very tense situations . and yes, of them are exploiters. the gap between the economic level of the locals and the new dutch is widening and it becoming a situation of the have and the locals the have-nots with barely the means to survive. The patriotic feeling of the locals that this is their island is very strong. On another note - it is really not in the local culture to take your dog(s) to the beach .. it is the Dutch who blatantly ignore the rule just as we are having to deal with dogs in the restaurants and the commercial ares.. not anything most locals would do. Yes, these are difficult times.. but it is my hope that it will all work out. As for Chavez . let us see how he deals with his serious cancer .. he is a one man show and the political scene in Venezuela is something to watch.

Just my two cents: The thing that attracted us to Bonaire and what has kept us coming back is the lack of a gap between the "have" outsiders and the "have not" locals. To see where that gap leads, try Jamaica, where the resorts are all all-inclusive because it's too scary to go off the heavily guarded hotel property. It would be a shame to have Bonaire turn out that way.