Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Help the Parrots of Bonaire!!

Default Please Help the Parrots of Bonaire!!

Last week 112 endangered parrots and endemic parakeets were illegally taken by poachers on Bonaire. The unfed and starving chicks were confiscated thanks to great efforts by STINAPA Bonaire and the island's Police force. The birds were bound for the pet trade on neighbouring Curacao.

There are 82 unweaned chicks which the Echo team are now hand feeding. This is a tremendous strain on their limited resources. They have received emergency aid from World Parrot Trust which covers the immediate needs of these parrots. They have already successfully released other confiscated illegal pet Amazon parrots, and hope to return all 112 of these parrots to the wild too.

Your support is desperately needed to help keep these endangered and endemic birds alive, so they can be released.

Please send a donation today. Your support will make a tremendous difference for these parrots.

http://www.echobonaire.org/Parrot_re...ot_chicks.html

Sam Williams is hand feeding these 112 chicks with cooked fruit multiple times a day. It is a round the clock effort, he needs our financial support to buy the fresh fruit and he also trains volunteers to help with the feedings.
    Check the website for pictures.

I forgot to mention: Your $ donations are tax deductable, you will get a receipt immediately from RAZOO. So US visitors, please consider donating today!! Thanks!

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I'm in, Chris. Just made my donation.

Please keep us posted on how the parrots are doing.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

I also made a donation. Will they be needing volunteers to help care for them and prepare them for release when they are ready?

info@echobonaire.org The Echo Team is training volunteers in feeding, food preparation and currently is in need of construction expertise for new aviaries, since the chicks have to leave those plastic crates they were confiscated in. Check out Sam's blog about the daily challenges and his pictures/videos.
    I have enjoyed listening to and watching the parrots and parakeets on Bonaire during my vacations on the island, but I had no idea how vulnerable to the threat of extinction these Loras (I call them yellow shouldered Amazons) are in the Wild! Please read:

http://www.audubonmagazine.org/featu...eentravel.html

At this time Sam says they don't need feeders..they need money..how awesome is Echo Bonaire...

http://www.razoo.com/story/Savebonaireparrots
    http://www.echobonaire.org/Parrot_re...ot_chicks.html
    http://www.facebook.com/echobonaire.org

I have written to both Rocargo & Amcar Freight, to ask for donated space in one of their weekly containers from the US. If positive, you would just need to get the parrot food to Amcar in Miami, then pay the 8% ABB on it when it arrives (unless the charity is ABB exempt). I'll keep in touch & let you know their response.

Good news, I hope it's in time!

I just received a positive reply from Amcar Freight. Their containers sail every Thursday, and arrive the following Thursday on Bonaire. If you can get parrot food to them by Tuesday, July 19, it will sail July 21 & arrive on Bonaire July 28/29.

If this is in time, you would ship as follows:
    Echo Bonaire/Baby Parrots, c/o Amcar Freight, 12600 NW 25th Street, Suite 107, Miami, FL 33182-1508, tel: 305-599-8866, Attn: Mercy Marimon. A copy of the invoice must accompany the food, or you can email it to Mercy directly: Mercy@Amcarfreight.com. If you'd like, you can keep me in the loop and I'll follow-up with Mercy.

Here is Mercy's letter to me:

Hi Ruth,

Amcar will donate space in the container for the parrot food. One catch ! They must name one of them “RICKY RICARCDO” after my manager. LOL !!!

Best Regards,
    Mercy Marimon
    -----------------------------------

NEW LOCATION
    Amcar Freight Inc
    12600 NW 25 STREET STE 107
    Miami Fl 33182
    Tel: (305) 599-8866
    Fax: (305) 599-2808

Hi Ruth,
    Thanks so much..I sent the details to Sam at Echo..good work

If anyone shipped parrot food to Amcar, (who is donating space), please let me know. I spoke with Mercy yesterday, but none had arrived. They are loading this week's container right now, to leave port today.