Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Lionfish Solution??

Overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire and "VINIBU" on Bonaire

Ugh...They are nothing more than invading monsters.
    "Life is good, And on Bonaire, It's even better!"

Owner of VINIBU

I dove Bonaire 1 month ago and seen 4 lionfish in 6 days of diving. I then went to Curacao and we speared 40 to 50 lionfish on every dive. I don't think Bonaire has as big of a problem as Cur.
    They really r good to eat. Its now our favorite fish to eat. In fact we just ate lionfish 1 hour ago for supper. Yum, Yum good!!!

Here's an interesting article just recently came across. However just because they are not hanging out in the open on the reef like in Curacao, rest assured on Bonaire they have gotten "smarter" and know they are being actively hunted. Ergo the casual diver will not see that many unless they are actively hunting them. We believe that their actual numbers are being diminished on Bonaire, but obviously no guarantees.
    http://conservationmagazine.org/2014...rder-to-hunt//

Owner of VINIBU

this may be a glimmer of hope, but only if Bonaire keeps increasing the number of grouper.
    http://www.compasscayman.com/caycomp...y-on-lionfish/

Thanks for posting, but I am a bit unclear as to exactly what we can conclude from the "tethering" of lion fish to the reef. Obviously this is not their natural state of being.
    1. How does this change their behavior
    2. How were they tethered?
    3. If they were tethered and they are now missing how were they attached to the reef?
    4. Most of the "smart" Lion fish from my past observations this winter were in holes and not out in the open.
    However, I think I can conclude unequivocally; DO NOT EAT GROUPER. If you see it in restaurants do not order it (no matter where they represent it's from).

Owner of VINIBU

We first saw them about 6 years ago and we had corks with yellow streamers on them. We usually saw 3 or 4 on every dive. We were tying the streamers (ribbons) to dead coral next to the Lionfish because they rarely moved from their hangout. Park personel were hunting them. We often would go on line and report their location so that Rangers could "harvest " them. One day we came in from a dive and I had just marked the location of a big one (most were fairly small then) and 5 minutes later a Ranger came out of the water with that very same Lf. Now that's quick. <grin> Actually he saw me tying the cork and came along right behind me.
    Each year we noticed fewer and fewer. However sometimes when cruising deep 80 to 120 ft. I notice more of them. that is what will probably keep them around. they go deeper and fewer divers will go after them.
    This past year we usually saw about 1 per dive. I doubt they will be removed from the Island reef anytime soon.
    Dustcap

Please note that the old system of tying corks with a yellow ribbon on the reefs is no longer being practiced. In the early stages of the invasion this may have been helpful, but now it just clogs up the reef. So please no more tying yellow ribbons.

Owner of VINIBU

alwayswet is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

How about a spear / small dart that injects CO2 into the lion fish so they float? Then the birds can pick on their bodies till they are gone..
    Just my .02...

Bill

It would be awesome if some of us who enjoy diving there could kill them.

On my rebreather, I can sneak up on them and kill them before they even know they're being hunted.

I'm no allowed to do so though, unless I'm with the appropriate person "teaching" me how to do it.

On at least one of my dives in October, I counted at least 50 in one small section. Were I allowed to kill them, I could have made that a nice lionfish free zone.

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

hroark -- any number of dive shops can do guided LF hunting dives with you after you have taken the course. You can rent ELF's & ZK's and LF hunt to your heart's content. At VIP Diving, they have a PADI-approved Lionfish Hunter distinctive specialty course as well. Your challenge will be finding a dive shop with a DM or instructor who also has a rebreather to get to your depths and for your bottom time. There are a lot of nice size LF right now on the Windjammer.
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32