Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: end of an era

Angry end of an era

June 28, 2011
    Dear Friends of the Bonaire WebCams,
    It was about eleven years ago when we – Jake Richter and Daniel Senie – launched the Bonaire WebCams project on Bonaire. We started with four cameras, including an underwater camera, which the world could view 24 hours a day (although, of course, at night some of the images were dark).
    Since then the numbers of active cameras have varied significantly, with a peak of fourteen cameras running in 2010. We are now down to about a half dozen active WebCams on the Bonaire WebCams site now, with a number of cameras out of commission due to our inability to properly maintain them while Jake is off-island for the foreseeable future for cancer treatment.
    The Bonaire WebCams were never a money maker for us, but were a passion to share with the world, garnering a number of awards over the years, as well as a huge fan base.
    For all that Bonaire’s tourism benefitted from having the highest public WebCam-to-resident ratio in the Caribbean (if not the world), Bonaire’s tourism industry never really provided any support for our project.
    Support was left to a few special entities on Bonaire, including Eden Beach Resort, Dive Friends Bonaire, Bonaire Windsurf Place, and REMAX Bonaire Homes. And, of course, our loyal fans, members, and individual supporters – especially Martin De Weger, who has pitched in to try and keep the WebCams operational both when Jake has been on-island, and when he has been off-island as well. Thank you all for your support.
    However, the actual cost of running the Bonaire WebCams web site as well as having to invest regularly in replacement hardware due to age and vandalism, has gotten to the point where we are no longer able to keep spending money out of our own pockets. Advertising sales and membership fees have helped carry the site part of the way, but not enough to cover all costs. Furthermore, with Jake’s return date to Bonaire being rather uncertain, and his cancer care being understandably more important to him than working on the WebCams, we have reached the decision to try and sell or close down the Bonaire WebCams.
    As such, unless a buyer can be found for the Bonaire WebCams before the end of August, 2011, we will be shuttering the web site and the systems at that time. As part of this we are closing down new paid memberships and renewals effective immediately.
    Should any of you know of someone who is interested in purchasing the Bonaire WebCams brand and its various assets, please send them to us – we can be reached at info@caribbeanwebcams.com.
    Jake Richter & Daniel Senie

This post had been edited because it goes against our TOS that can be found on every page of Bonaire Talk.com it especially goes against this clause: Material which is copyrighted by others, and to which you have no clear license or title or permission to post on Bonaire Talk. Such material would include text, images, graphics, etc.

Caribbean WebCams, LLC

Bonaire WebCams
    Last edited by ModFreddie; 06-29-2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: against TOS {copyright}

this is so sad!

Default The official notice

Hi all,

Jan's posting is accurate. We had sent out the notification last night to the companies who had supported the Bonaire WebCams, and I was planning on posting the same letter here later this week.
    this link was removed because it goes against out TOS, especially this claus: Messages which promote a commercial business from which you derive compensation. Such compensation may include, but is not limited to, outright payment, a commission, salary, and/or free services or goods.

And yes, it's sad on many levels.

Jake
    Last edited by ModFreddie; 06-29-2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: against TOS advertizing a business
    In the interests of full disclosure, I am a principal at the following Bonaire-related entities:

Richter Art Gallery - http://www.RichterArt.com
    InfoBonaire - http://www.InfoBonaire.com
    NetTech N.V. - http://www.NetTechNV.com
    Support Bonaire, Inc. - http://www.SupportBonaire.org
    Bonaire Insider - http://www.BonaireInsider.com
    Bonaire WebCams - http://www.BonaireWebCams.com

Totally understand Jake. Will miss the web cams but your focus is needed elsewhere. Hope you are feeling OK as you progress through your treatment. Hugs to you and the family.
    Blow bubbles, and be at peace.

Donna aire is offline Bonaire Cam Queen SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Very, very sad I was unaware of Jake's illness and wish you well.

I'll miss the cams, Jake, but I haven't contributed to them, so I'm part of the problem. Never understood why Bonaire did so little to support them. Heck, we stayed at Eden Beach just because of the cams...you'd think the appeal of the cams would be obvious to businesses and organizations.

Thank you for the glimpses of Bonaire life over the years. Especially, thanks for glimpses of you own family. I loved the old front gate cam. And the Small Wall cam. Thank you Linda, for letting us watch your family grow up.

Jake, best of wishes to you on your treatment. I hope you're all back home very soon.

Unhappy Praying that OBD comes up with a winner

no other words required
    PRA & ET Inc
    Proof Readers Anonymous & Extreme Testers

Default shocking

I to am sad about this
    as a lerker I feel as tho I know the lot of you
    reading posts, looking at the pics and dreaming of
    being on binaire some day

this is just another sign of what things are like
    across the world maybe just maybe there is an
    answer out there

I am very sad now to hear of the cams closing. Prayers out to you Jake and Thank-you for all you have done for the cams and for us who watch them. Consintrate on getting yourself better.
    Have not been to Bon "yet" but I will some day. I found these cams because we moved from the beach to the mountains and I had to have some Beach in my day, every day.

disappointed to see what drew me to my love of Bonaire going away . . . great memories; the web cam at the gate, watching the kids grow up, virtually attending parties in Jake's yard, capturing the little yellow tang picture 'tweety', making good friends with sooooooooo many people. I would not have met Darlene if not for the early days of BT and the web cams.

Thank you for the many years we have so enjoyed.

Jake, we love you and send all our healing vibes, and prayers. Hugs