Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wire transfer for rental

Default Wire transfer for rental

I would like to have paid by credit card but the payment choice was made by the apt rental manager. I would not have chosen wire transfer. I have a receipt to wire money from PNC bank in the US to MCB bank in Bonaire. There was never any mention by either my bank or the apt manager that I might need to wire more money than $1600 because PNC and MCB don't have a direct connection.

When I am wiring someone money, I am going to send them the agreed upon amount. I would never have agreed to have all the costs billed to me...that is like a free for all at my own expense. How am I to know that they are not going to just wire say... $1800 and say that the $200 were "fees".

No, I meant that your bank (PNC) could've handled this and covered the expenses, or at least have been truthful with you up front that they don't work as a 'sister-bank' to MCB Bonaire (although they probably don't know this off-hand, it could've been traced thru the SWIFT codes)--they have to have set rates for these services, same as the banks here. Your option then would've been to withdraw cash from your bank, and take it to whatever bank does work directly with MCB, to avoid the in-between charge. At this point, the rental could've taken Visa or MC & taken the 4-5% commission hit! Good luck-unless it's the renters very first bank transaction, they had to have known they'd be charged an incoming wire fee (I think MCB's fee is in the $30 range, no matter what US bank it comes from). No doubt about it, wire transfer fees always seem outrageous, and always SUCK.

Default Wire transfer for rental

Thanks for all the info Ruth. All very interesting. I don't think it even occurred to the woman at PNC to check if MCB was a "sister bank". I certainly wouldn't have thought to ask something like that. The place we rented from is a fairly large rental apartment building. There is only one woman that works in the office and it appears that she has been there for a few years. She made it sound like this was the first time it has ever happened where she didn't receive the full amount.

Wen Pederson is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents after having a bad accommodation experience last month. One of the lessons learned was I will never again use anything other than a credit card to secure a rental. It's the only way you have even a slight chance of obtaining any type of mitigation for a mis-represented rental. Once you pay(wire or e-transfer in this case) up front, it's gone, baby, gone...! Another lesson learned was: never rent a place that does not have (or is not willing to provide) published reviews. Most legitimate owners will publish the good and the bad. The one I rented had none - and, unfortunately, now I know why!

Overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire and "VINIBU" on Bonaire

Wenn: You are ABSOLUTELY correct!
    "Life is good, And on Bonaire, It's even better!"

Owner of VINIBU

hello all, some how in all my searches I had not found these forums before my trip to Bonaire. Not sure how i missed it

I just got back from my first trip and the place I stayed (beachcombers villas) had asked me to wire money. I was very apprehensive as they were a new operation when we were looking and there was little to no info on the web about them. I could not understand in the days of CC and paypal why someone would want money wired. It just wreaked like a scam.

After speaking to them on SKYPE and requesting references, I felt comfortable enough to do it. It turns out that they are a mom and pop operation that just does not have the ability to take credit cards.

In my experience scams fall apart quickly once pressed for details. This place stood up to scrutiny. If yours does not, walk away.