Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Water Temp 84 Really?

I will definitely give my uttermost effort to avoid the coral (as always). Listening to this forum on entry exits however is moving me off the shorty idea to a full. On most trips we are only boat diving - but I can see us doing a daily shore dive on Bonaire (and also boat dives). I guess that's why its nice to have such participation on a forum like this (especially for a new visitor like me). Thanks for all the input. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdives View Post
    I've never regreted diving in a 5mil. I guess I'm a sissy.
    No way....you're not a sissy. And definitely not alone. I wore a 4/3 mil in Bonaire in June and was never too warm. Even when my computer was registering temps in the mid 80s consistently. My wetsuit was perfect, actually. Kept me warm over two weeks of multi-dive days.

And I like the extra protection for entries/exits, especially for the East Coast in heavier surf. You never know when you are going to take a tumble - even the most experienced Bonaire shore diver stumbles once in a while. Better safe than sorry.
    Cheers,
    Liz

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

It really comes down to personal preference and temperature tolerance. I dive Bonaire in a rashguard & swmsuit at the same time my wife dives in her 5/3mm full wetsuit. Some of my students get cold in an 84 deg. pool during training and some are perfectly warm in the same pool.

Vive la difference !!
    KOB
    PADI CD-159014
    KOBScuba.com
    Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

Wife and I dive Bonaire in swimsuits.

People dive in wetsuits, then they swim in the same water in swimsuits. I don't get it.

I've been fire-coral'd a few times. The sting lasts about 20 minutes. Jellys? I've bumped a few. Still not enough to motivate me to wear a hot wetsuit in bath-water.

Quote Originally Posted by thom View Post
    Wife and I dive Bonaire in swimsuits.

People dive in wetsuits, then they swim in the same water in swimsuits. I don't get it.

I've been fire-coral'd a few times. The sting lasts about 20 minutes. Jellys? I've bumped a few. Still not enough to motivate me to wear a hot wetsuit in bath-water.
    It's great that you and your wife dive in swimsuits. I'm sure that makes gearing up much easier than sweating it out in a thick wetsuit. As KOB said, it's personal preference, really. Some people like thick wetsuits and some don't. There isn't much to "get" really.

But your comparison of swimming to diving is off.

When you are swimming, you are in an aerobic state and you're likely not spending much time fully underwater, mostly you're on the surface benefitting from solar heat (unless by swimming you mean standing in the shallows just milling around chatting with one another with a cocktail in your hand). When your body is in an aerobic state, your body generates heat and you need less insulation. It works the same when you run, hike or whatever....

Yes, I've gone freediving in Bonaire in January wearing only a swimsuit. But a majority of that time was spent on the surface, under the hot sun, treading water. The time spent at depth (20-30 feet max) certainly did not warrant a wetsuit.

Diving, however, involves extended periods of time at depth basically not moving much at all, with an occasional fin kick to propel yourself. Hardly aerobic and certainly not the same aerobic activity as swimming. You're definitely not generating much - if any - body heat. Unless, of course, your buoyancy sucks and you are flailing around with your arms and legs trying to avoid being a bottom-crasher.

And, last time I dove the East Side and got knocked off balance by a big wave, I was really glad I had a full-length wetsuit with reinforced knees protecting my legs. The bruise I did end up with was fairly nasty. I imagine a bare leg meeting rock would have fared much worse.
    Cheers,
    Liz

Lakewood, Washington - the cold, green waters of the Pacific Northwest!

At Red Slave a few weeks ago we hit a noticeable thermocline at 100fsw or so - it was fun! Other than that, a balmy 84 degrees!

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

I dive Curacao and Bonaire since 1977. My last dive was yesterday. I've never wore more than swimming trousers and a T-shirt.
    This year I upgraded from old tennis shoes to hard soled booties :-)
    My 11 yr old daughter had a 4 mil suit and was shivering.