Thread: Cullen Skink Recipe

Default Cullen Skink Recipe

This is my favourite recipe for Cullen Skink.

Cullen Skink is a traditional Scottish soup made with smoked haddock.

Ingredients:
    A large smoked haddock (weighing around 2 lb)
    1 medium onion, finely chopped.
    1 pints (900ml) milk
    2 tablespoons butter
    8 oz mashed potato
    Salt and pepper
    1 bay leaf
    Chopped parsley
    Water
    Triangles of toast (as an accompaniment)

Method
    Cover the smoked haddock with water, in a shallow pan, skin side down. Bring to the boil and simmer for 4/5 minutes, turning once. Take the haddock from the pan and remove the skin and bones. Break up the fish into flakes, return to the stock and add the chopped onion, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Simmer for another 15 minutes. Strain, remove the bay leaf but retain the stock and fish. Add the milk to the fish stock and bring back to the boil. Add enough mashed potato to create the consistency you prefer (don't be afraid to make it rich and thick!). Add the fish and reheat. Check for seasoning. Just before serving, add the butter in small pieces so that it runs through the soup.
    Serve with chopped parsley on top, accompanied by triangles of toast.
    My names still Antony without the 'H'

OMG Antony{with no h} I have taken a liking to Haddock for sure and this sounds very yummy .... will try it asap... Haddock is not readily available here unless it is frozen... Not sure why as we have fishing boats that fish in the colder waters of New England that support Haddock... thanks for the recipe
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

Quote Originally Posted by ModFreddie View Post
    OMG Antony{with no h} I have taken a liking to Haddock for sure and this sounds very yummy .... will try it asap... Haddock is not readily available here unless it is frozen... Not sure why as we have fishing boats that fish in the colder waters of New England that support Haddock... thanks for the recipe
    It's a great dish in the winter Freddie and we have looooooong winters here

That said, we are now just enjoying our soft fruit season. Strawberries, Raspberries etc are all grown within a few miles from here. It's a short season but the fruit is so much better when it is sourced locally. Look out for my summer recipe
    My names still Antony without the 'H'